1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X-demonstrators

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by PerryL, Jun 4, 2021.

1. I thought that I had already asked it but cannot find it.

What are people's thoughts on buying ex-demonstrators? I was also wrong in saying that dealers cover this up to hide the fact, but I've since found at least one ad where the dealer makes it perfectly clear that this is an ex-demonstrator.

On the face of it, you save a grand at least and you do not know if a any second-hand bike was a demonstrator in a former life - the dealer might of pre-registered it to meet a sales-target instead of it being a demonstrator, or it might of been a staff bike.

Originally, my reaction was, "No", but thinking about it and allowing that, especially with Ducatis, people are not animals who thrash demonstrators within an inch of their life. For one, most people in the market (and the salesperson will make an assessment) are not knuckle draggers and two, unless you just mindlessly abuse it, then you cannot really thrash a modern bike on the public road. Even the Supersport is way over 100 bhp and to "thrash" such a bike you would have to go at crazy speeds.

I think now, is that an ex-demonstrator is not such a bad thing. Am I wrong?

2. Everyone thinks no, it's been ragged/trashed etc, but in reality, no one rides them even close to a limit on the road (unless it's a Gixxer, they live on the redline :p). Only thing I'd check is paint work, scuffs/scratches on other parts etc and just make sure it's not been binned on a demo ride. Remember that the warranty won't be from when you buy it, but when it was registered at the dealer so you'll lose 6 months or so.

As an ex demo purchaser, that's my 2 cents

3. What he said.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Yes, do the normal checks that you would do with any used bike. The ones that I've seen so far, all come with extended warranties for a year or two, plus any remaining manufacturer's warranty.

I am talking Ducatis, specifically here - rather than red-lined Gixxers!

5. I bought an ex demo 1100 monster back in 2010. It had barely been ridden and the dealer had to carry out the first service before I could take it.
    The bike was great, never missed a beat in the 3 years 12000 miles I owned it. I'd certainly do it again but you still need to make the usual checks on a 2nd hand purchase as not everyone will have your best interests in mind.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Sorted then, get your wallet out :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. The first 848 I got was a demo bike, nothing wrong with it in anyway. Buy on condition as far as I'm concerned

8. I bought my 1200r as an ex demo, saved a load of cash on basically a brand new bike with full main dealer back up and warranty.

9. Depends what I’m buying it for. If it was to be a track bike or it was very cheap then maybe.

if it was a garage queen then no as they’re not looked after from what I’ve ever seen or experienced.

I’m not really concerned about it being thrashed. But thrashed from cold would be more a concern.

10. Useful feedback.

Nothing to put me off. When I get the money then I'll have a look around and buy on condition.

At he the moment, Riders (not Bristol, but Yeovil) have a Supersport S in within my original 5-10k price range, so it is definitively a realistic option.

Just got get my license back and the compensation money now - and keep quiet to my sol that I want the money for another Ducati!

And family...... but I don't expect anyone here to help me with that!

11. My Carole bought her ex demo Diavel 9 years ago, 35,000 + miles later, it's still her favourite bike to ride. Andy

12. Bridgwater!!! Not Yeovil!!!!

I am distracted coz I have my normal Saturday morning problems with my subscription to "The Times"!

Anyway, that is sorted out as I've dumped them!

I find digital subscription a right PIA! I tried to buy a digital copy of 'BIKE', after my local newsagent took over a week to fail to get me a print copy. I told them to forget it and tried to buy a copy on-line. That is a major PIA! I don't get it as I used to work in IT. If something was developed and was crap, then it wasn't allowed to be released. Simple. Now, it seems that respecting the rights of teenagers is more important than providing anything that works. And computers are soooo yesterday. Nowadays, it only has to work on a 'phone. Not any 'phone but just the developer's 'phone.

13. My only concern, having checked general condition and asked for first service to be included, would be how the bike has been cleaned. Possibly the young workshop assistant/apprentice using a jet-wash and very little care after every demo ride... Ramifications of this will only manifest themselves later with premature chain and bearing failure, corrosion issues etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. I've had 4 ex-demo bikes Diavel, 2 x KTM SDR, BMW gen3 no issues whatsoever.

In fact, I specifically don't buy new, always looking for ex-demo

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. My wife bought her ex demonstrator Monster 821 from Ducati Glasgow in 2017, got a really good deal, not had any problems with it.

16. Some years ago I travelled all the way to M&S in Newcastle to look at a year old 1199 Tricolore they had in, upon inspection it had been dropped on track so walked away, the sales guy pointed me towards their demo 1199S that was for sale in the showroom, saying he could do a deal on that.

Tyres below the legal limit, chain rusted like you wouldn't believe, tank pad hanging off, considering this was a 6 month old bike they certainly hadn't maintained it, and certainly not prepp'd it for sale on the showroom floor.

Needless to say I declined that offer also.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information