1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow Mk1 Superlight Look

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by wolfram, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Right, this years winter project is to add a yellow fairing and tank to the red set and black set I already have for my 1991 white frame 900ss. This will complete the set of all original white frame bikes.

I have assembled the parts list:
    • ricambi weiss rear seat unit - £79.00 (needs a lot of work to get it looking right before paint)
    • superlight seat cushions - £110.00 (this is the later version, could not find a thin one)
    • seat unit brackets - £65.00 (took weeks to come, but got all of them, front and back)
    • termignoni high carbon exhausts with brackets - £700 (these are not strictly original kit but..)
    • sticker set - £69.00
    • large breather tank and replacement side fairings - £300
    • carbon front fender - £180 (I already have this)
    • replacement front headlight fairing £60 (i already have this)
    • black mirrors £70.00 (I already have these)
    • Marvic wheels ???£1,000 (still looking - might not bother)
    • cast iron floating discs and bobbin front rotors ???£400 (would only bother with the marvics)
    • ventilated aluminium clutch cover £140 (original NOS ducati)
    • paint ?? (still not 100% on paint colour)
    • Labour ??
    • dynojet kit - £90-180 (suggested to avoid leaning out the mixture with the termignoni's. Not sure which to get. will be posting a different thread)

I think that is it? anything I have missed?

So - this is not a cheap project, coming in at over £3000 to do everything

The current sticking point is my indecision on the shade of yellow. As it is a bit spendy, i want to get this 100% right. Any experience of the different yellows and matches would be appreciated.

#1 wolfram, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2016
  2. Forget the Mavics imho, they are more hassle than they are worth. A pita to find and at that age possible damage.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. Thanks for the input. Maybe it is just me, but i cant see how this chart helps much. I have been to several paintshops and asked for 'ppg 473.201' and they have looked at me blankly.

I have had two of about five tell me it is in the system. However, they were both a long drive away and would not post. one was waterbased, which my painter wont use anyway.

My other issue is one of trust. How do i know that the colour I'm given is correct? I only want to do this once. If i cant find anyone who has scanned their bike i will buy a few tester samples from different companies advertising on ebay - it will be interesting to see if they match.

4. if ya doin testers, yellow is a very transparent paint so the undercoat/base will have an effect.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Ducati's came out of the factory in many different shades - even on the same bike. Yellow is the worse.
    So long as it is close it is as correct as any :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Would be worth having a word with Bike Colours - I found them very helpful, and they were able to match my original colour absolutely perfectly. No waterbased stuff either.

Sent from my P01M using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Bike colours is who I've used both for 2 pack and aerosol

8. Update on this - I have purchased a couple of testers:

"Ducati 473.201" from pro-spray (water based)
    "Ducati 4" from Lechler (they also do a 4B, which is indicated for 996)

I'm going to paint them on red, white and pink primer (i read that pink primer was used in the factory, also that many yellow panels started off red).

I will then scan them in and get formulas for all combinations. This will tell me if there is any meaningful difference. If there is, I might have to delay my choice until I can get confirmation from a factory yellow panel of the right age.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Well, I have been doing some research on the colour yellow. I'm fairly happy with the result. I have bought two testers and a yellow part from a Paso in the process.

This is the comparison of all the yellow's I have considered. These have all been colour balanced using photoshop.

[​IMG]

'countrypolitan' is a fiat 500 colour
    'Fly' is a Ducati colour
    '996' is a later Ducati Colour
    '473.201' is a Ducati Colour
    'Lemon Chrome' is the best match colour to the Paso

These were painted on white and red primers before being photographed in several different light conditions

Phil

10. I can confirm that my '97 SS and my '03 749 were completely different shades of yellow. I got my local paint factors to mix up a match for my SS which was a tweak on a Piaggio colour. If it helps I can take a picture of the code on the tin?

11. codes would be good

12. I'd go with the Yellow you prefer. Even if it was an original white framed yellow SL, nobody seems to think there was a consistent colour coming out of the factory and as any original bike is a quarter of a century old, matching seems a little pointless.
    I also wouldn't bother with the Marvics, discs of vented cover.
    Yellow white frame SLs are the prettiest of the lot though!

13. Lechler Giallo Fly was good for a 97 SS I painted once for Dan who raced in the Desmo Due series and ran the old Ducatisti site, I used white primer for that. Lots of comments on the Marvics, I had a MKI and they were great and finished the bike off, if you ever find any you may get lucky and find the floaters still attached but I would probably have safety in mind and go for the current floating Serie Oro series brembos, In my personal experience out of the wheels and brakes I would worry more about the old Iron floating brembo rotors cracking over the Marvics collapsing on you but both items should be on your radar from a safety angle.

#14 JimmySP3, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  14. It will soon be finished! [​IMG]

15. I'm now lusting after your new wheels Ian!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  16. It's a costly business this SS affair, please don't blame me for more bling purchases, Lol!

17. I realy like yellow bikes:upyeah::heart_eyes:

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. You need to add to the list a floating rear calliper hanger, connecting rod and engine mounting plate.

I did have a carbon plate you could have, but unfortunately I gave it to a guy on here who was 'rebuilding' his and then promptly flogged it. Pissed me off that did, especially as I could have given him the dimensions and PAID some other fucker to make it for him. Nevermind.

The yellow is quite subjective.

you could try here..
    http://www.rsbikepaint.com/en-gb/colours.php

Or
    You're probably better off going into a paint factors and getting them to get the spectrometer on it.

Spies Hecker actually do a colour : Superlight Yellow

DUCATI MOTORCYCLES | 103 | SUPERLIGHT YELLOW | 101496 |

they have several Ducati options though as the yellow across the ages has six different colour variations in their colour charts. hence spectrometer. Or depending where you are, find a man who does custom spray work for concourse and show vehicles - they generally have a better eye for tints and shades, and can probably do a spot on formulation for you. :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information