1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another Cam Belt Thread!

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by ALISTAIR STANWAY, Feb 20, 2020.

1. Hi all,
    At the expense of being shot down I have a question re: timing belt tensions on my 95 748.

I have fitted the belts, all good, no issues at all. Both belts tensioned to 110hz at TDC on the compression stroke as per the manual. Pulley wheels tensioned anti-clockwise.

When the motor is turned over a few revolutions and set back to TDC I am getting inconsistent measurements when I recheck on both Horizontal and vertical cylinders. A re-tension back to 110hz and a few more revolutions gives more inconsistent results. I have used two different types of measuring S/w and both give the same numbers.
    I’m thinking the measurements should be consistent once set and not continually vary.
    Any ideas?

2. Providing the new belts have been correctly fitted (not stretched to install) and the tension bearings are still good, with a 5mm Allen key swiped through the back of the belt on the tensioner when the opposite cylinder is at TDC on firing stroke all should be well and constant. Soz if you are aware of this.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Set it at 110hz and leave it. That‘s it.

4. As above! turn the motor over with plugs out, set the tension and forget! for a couple of thousand miles at least!:astonished:

5. Thread moved

6. damn you're good gal. :kissing_heart:

7. Think you're over thinking/complicating it, as said once set then put it back together, fire it up and ride it.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information