1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet Another Tyre Thread!

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by J biker, May 2, 2017.

1. Yes another one..

Tyres for Superduke gt (Alps trip!) circa 3k of abuse, one up light luggage.

After lots of research, review reading and being realistic about longevity, I have narrowed down choice of tyres to 3 specific tyres.

Pirelli Angel GT. Standard fitment and some how seemed to just click with them at the weekend (Dalveen pass ride). Now at 2300 miles. Wearing nice and even. Very good grip. No chicken strips back or front. Good wet, dry, damp.
    Only concern is how easy it has been to get to the edge. Is the tyre profile a bit flat? Something with better profile required, or just realistically leaning over far enough...

Road smart 3. Had these on my 1200GS. Bloody slippy for the 1st few cold miles, took some scrubbing in BUT once scrubbed in worked superb in all conditions in Pyrenees last October. Needed a few miles to get some heat in. Obviously a heavy bike and different tyre size so dont know how they would work on the KTM in comparison.

Bridgestone T30 Evo. Absolutely no experience of these but they seem comparable to above after research. More sporty? Great dry poor wet?

Ruled out Road 3/4s. As I dont like the sipes or the strange front tyre wear and vague feel when pushed. (or the multiple punctures I had on the 4s!)
    Also ruled out things like M7rr (loved 'em but wont last miles x abuse intended)

So sport touring compromise will have to be made, feedback on the Dunlop and Bridgestone compared to the Angel GT welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Try Metzeller 01s, loads better than the Pirellis, Dunlops or Bridgestones

#2 Denzil the Ducati, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  3. Seen that review, in fact have linked it before.
    After reading how the test was done though I have reservations. Heavy bike, run in rain mode in cool weather. Hmmm.
    Not saying the result is wrong just that a lot of these tests seem to have some strange parameters for testing....maybe to show strengths and avoid weakness?
    Would take more notice if the BM was run full power or they used something a bit more juicy in mixed weather.

Seems manufacturers see wet weather performance as the priority. Me, happy on Sport smart 2/RS3/M7rr/Pilot road 2,3 and 4/Scorpions/Angel gt in the wet. Only tire that frightened me was one of the early dual compound Pirellis I had on an R1, cant think which version. Its not the priority, the sun WILL shine and the roads will be dry at some point. Thats the important bit, then I want some fun! Can just slow down and ride around the tyres performance envelope in the wet. Most tyres are good enough with a bit heat in them if things get moist.

4. I've no experience of the Angels or the Road Smart or PR3/4 (OK with PR2 though). However, I can say that I am happy with a set of T30 EVOs which replaced worn Corsa Rossos on my Triumph Street - I certainly feel more confident on wet roads, and dry, they seem to be wearing slowly and I'm certain they have improved ride - better over ripples and potholes. I'm ashamed to say that I still have slight chicken strips but I have seen on another forum a suggestion that the round profile of the T30 makes it a bit more of a challenge to get rid of them - that's what I'd like to think.

There's an old Youtube video where Ron Haslam reviews the T30, as used on his race school Fireblades etc., but you have to guess how he balances the fact that he surely gets a good deal from Bridgestone (fair enough!) against the risks involved in having all comers ride his bikes around tracks in all weather! I'm sure he often incurs some costs when a customer loses it.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information