1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your Motorcycling History.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Alan williams, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Out of interest

Favourite bike you’ve owned ?

First bike ?

First bike after passing test ?

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ?

Why Ducati ?

Any other significant bikes and why?

Me;

Favourite bike was a Triumph 3TA, had a Kawasaki z250 front end ( working brakes ) belt drive on the primary and electronic ignition, no bathtub. Loved it. Slow but fun.

First bike an SS50 at 16.

Passed test and got a Yamaha XS650 special.

Regret selling my Triton, needed a lot of work and at the time I couldn’t be arsed.

Always liked Ducati’s and fell in love with the 916 when it came out. Eventually my wife bought me one for my 39th birthday.
    Now got a 900ss ie.

As a teenager I always lusted after a Norton Commando, got one when I was mid twenties and hated it.

( sorry if this has been done before, did a search and couldn’t find this sort of thing)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Favourite bike you’ve owned ? GSXR 750 K7

First bike ? ZZR 1100

First bike after passing test ? ZZR 1100

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? ZZR 1400

Why Ducati ? I got fed up of reliable bikes and fancied a hoot, plus be honest, the 1000 strada is lush

Any other significant bikes and why?, Blackbirds, I've had 6 and for my size, are truly the best all year round, highest quality finish bikes I've ever had and even decent ones can be had for £2k. Best all round value bike I've ever had.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Favourite bike you’ve owned ?
    Triumph Sprint ST 1050 – just fits, quick enough and all day comfortable BUT mine is heavily modified and is crap for pillions

First bike ?
    Suzuki X7

CB900F
    See Above

Why Ducati ?
    After the CBR1000F the fireblade was too much for me (comfort) Tested the ST4S and liked it

Yamaha DT250 great fun scrambling

• Like Like x 2
  4. Favourite bike owned......RSV4
    First bike .....Yamaha DT125 ( I think, it was a while ago ;) )
    After passing test....Honda 600FY
    Regretted selling my first RSV4
    Ducati have something that other bikes lack and they look the best.
    Others....Daytona675, BMWS1000rr, 1199 panigale, multistrada, Tuono 1100. Amongst others

• Like Like x 2
  5. A work colleague always says he wishes he’d kept his blackbird.
    Wants another but has 4 bikes already and not enough room.

6. I had a couple of GT250s but never had an X7 - doubt I will now with the price of them

7. You ain't missing much..... rose coloured glasses....
    I had the same one come back to me three times..... Hole'd pistons.
    Didn't handle and all or nothing 2 stoke power...

8. Yea, but there’s something about a two stroke.
    Had a couple of 350YPVS and my wife had an RGV250 ( that was fun ).
    Also used to mechanic for a friend racing a 250MZ - bloody good cheap fun.

9. I don't have much of a bike history, having only had 4 bikes in 21 years of biking.

Favourite bike you’ve owned ? My first Monster 696, bought new over 8 years ago, still going strong at 73,000 miles (though looking a bit tired).

First bike ? Yamaha SR125 - bought because it wasn't a Honda CG125 and had an electric start. My biking budget didn't stretch to doing a direct access course, buying a bike and all the kit, so I bought a 125 and all the kit, learned and did my test on it and kept it for 5 years. Max speed 67mph on the A40 dual carriageway outside Oxford going slightly down hill with a favourable tailwind!

First bike after passing test ? First big bike bought after passing my test on my 125 was a grey import 400cc Suzuki Bandit (most mid-size 600s were too tall for my short legs). Bought after a rather stressful ride on the M4 on the 125, where I was stuck in the slow lane between massive trucks, lacking the grunt to overtake anything.

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? None. Can't say I miss the SR 125 and Bandit, now I have 2 696s in my garage!

Why Ducati ? When I first started buying bike magazines, the 916 caught my eye. I wasn't really interested in sports bikes, but I could see the 916 was something special, a beauty that stood out from the crowd. I then discovered Ducati made a naked bike called the Monster ... it was only when my other half passed his test many years later that I bought my first 696. Low seat, lightweight, looks good, sounds good, enough grunt, great handling.

Any other significant bikes and why? Nope!

• Like Like x 3
  10. If I had to pick one bike as my all time favourite it would be my Blackbird a 1996 carb model 100% reliable always got me home

11. Favourite bike you’ve owned ? Multistrada 1200 (2010) raw adrenalin on a blast or an accomplished tourer; does everything well.

First bike ? Gilera 50 Trials

First bike after passing test ? Suzuki GT250k (I think)

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? Suzuki RG500

Why Ducati ? Had to have the beautiful 996

Any other significant bikes and why? Husqvarna Nuda - A cult bike thanks largely to Royal Jordanian

• Like Like x 1
  12. LOL at least something we agree on :):)
    My favourite one was also GSXR750 2008 model(this was the first ever sport bike in the stable)

13. In pictures, cos some bloke said they say a thousand words.

Favourite bike you’ve owned ?

First race bike (superstock):

Cam's racer #2.jpg

First bike ? 400/4

First Bike.jpg

Would have been good to hang on to in the long term, first new bike I bought.

zxr750 black.jpg

Supersport R6, ended racing and getting a decent sleep so I'm posting this at 3am

Mallala 08 001.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  14. Favourite bike you’ve owned ? Suzuki GSX-R 750 k8
    First bike ? Yamaha Fazer FZ6S
    First bike after passing test ? As above
    Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? See first line.
    Why Ducati ? Had to own what is in my opinion the most beautiful bike ever made 998S FE
    What is the next bike I would like to add? MVAgusta F4 RR (just because after the 998 is the nicest one out there)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Here’s my timeline of bikes from 1977 when I turned 16 to the present day:
    - Garelli Tiger 50cc :) (well, I thought it was fab, at that age and everyone else had FS1E’s, so I went for Italian flair(ish).
    - Suzuki GT185 :confused:
    - Kawasaki KH250 :D:D:D
    - Suzuki GT550 :D:D
    - Honda GL500 Silver Wing :(
    - Yamaha FZR1000 EXUP :D:D:D
    - Ducati 748BP :D:D:D:D
    - Ducati Monster M900 :D:D:D
    - Peugeot Speedfight 100 :)

Bikes 8 & 9 are still present company.

The bike I regret most selling is the M900, wish I’d kept that now, but I was hardly riding either the 748 or the M900 at time and with insurance costs the way they were (still are I guess) in central London at least one had to go.

The bike I regret most buying was the Honda SilverWing. I still don’t know to this day why I bought it. Mind you it was comfortable, a bit like an armchair.

Why Ducati? In the mid 90s I had the FZR then the 916 appeared and it was just so beautiful so after a while I flogged the FZR and bought a brand new 748. I just preferred it when I tested both the 916 and 748. Still have it 19 years later :upyeah:

• Like Like x 3
  16. Favourite bike you’ve owned ? I can’t pin just one. But so far?
    ZXR400
    TRX850
    Monster 1000
    Z1000 (2004)
    Multistrada

First bike ? Kawasaki AR50

First bike after passing test ? Kawasaki ZZR250

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? Kawasaki Z1000 (2004 in Orange), it was awesome, a pocket rocket with real attitude.

Why Ducati ? I went for my CBT the year Ducati launched the 916. I was mesmerised. For me Ducati’s are exotica, beautiful and emotional.

Here is my entire back catalogue.....

2018 Multistrada DVT S Touring

2017 Multistrada DVT Touring (stolen)

2015 Tiger 1050 Sport

2013 BMW R1200RT

2013 Speed Triple 1050

2011 Tiger 800

2007 Z1000

2004 Z1000

1999 R6

1999 Speed Triple 955

2001 VTR1000

1999 Monter 1000 Sie

1998 GSXR600

1997 TRX850

1994 ZXR400

1992 KR1

1992 ZZR250

1995 AR50

Dream garage?
    I really want to own a 998s FE in red at some point.
    I’d have a Multistrada 1200s, Thruxton R and a Monster 900 to keep it company.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Favourite bike you’ve owned ?
    ST4

First bike ?
    M900

M900

I've only sold the M900 so that must be it! I would have liked to have kept it even though my wife told me I looked ridiculous as I was too big for it.....

Why Ducati ?
    As a kid in the late '70's and early 80's I lusted after motocrossers but with road bikes I was always aware of Ducati but didn't know much about them (except they were strangely desirable). Parents stopped me getting a bike at 16 (probably a good thing then - the cash I had saved from tattie picking to buy a Suzuki ER50 went on skis) so it wasn't until I was in late 20's that a friend opened up his garage to show me his '79 fully faired red 900SS (think MHR without stickers) and a his mates newer white frame 900SS - he started his bike and it was a huge surprise to hear it sound like 'the leader of the pack' as I was expecting an IL4 whine (stupid boy!). I then borrowed a Yamaha DT125 off another mate and passed my test - I really wanted a SuperSport, dreamed of a 916 and bought a monster (the SS hurt my wrists on the test ride). I thought a 500 or 600 would be sensible as a first bike but the M900 was available, 3 months old and 1300 miles on the clock - what do you do?? I see I'm not that unusual going from 125 to large capacity straight away.

Would like an early 'Cagiva typescript' 916 Strada, an F4 MV Agusta as, has been mentioned, is next best looking thing to 9*6 and then a Kwacker z1300 (just because?!). In all probability I'll keep the ST4 until the missus makes me sell it for something 'comfy' she wants to sit on the back of and fall asleep? (I drive something that is good for that already!)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Very much a Ducati man then :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Favourite bike you’ve owned ? A ‘97 748sp fitted with an 853cc engine built by Dr Desmo, Steve Hillary himself.

First bike ? Royal Enfield Prince, 150cc

First bike after passing test ? Norton 650ss

Where do I start ?
    Ex race Itom 50cc
    Ex race Zundapp 200cc
    BSA Gold Star, DBD32
    AJS 7R
    Vellocette Venom (destroyed in an accident)
    Suzuki GSX750
    The one I don’t regret is the Suzuki TL1000R

Why Ducati ?
    The 996 I was persuaded to test ride and subsequently bought was sooooooo much better than the Suzuki TL1000R I had been riding

Full Ohlins 748R
    1098R
    Panigale V4 Speciale
    Because I can :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Favorite bike you’ve owned ? They are all favorite but if I have to pick one its my foggy rep.

First bike ? Honda ss50

First bike after passing test ? RD350 YPVS F1

Bike you most regret selling (not necessarily financial reason) ? Honda 400 Four supersport, did a ground up restoration.

Why Ducati ? fell in love with the 916 when it 1st came out

Any other significant bikes and why? My 916 foggy rep its a bit special.
    My thruxton R, and the best all round bike I own is my Hyperstrada do it all bike.
    Will have to wait for the verdict on the CCM FT6, its been a long wait but maybe a little light at the end of the tunnel now

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information