1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

848 Your Thoughts On This Bike...

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Berry, Mar 15, 2017.

1. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132124949630

High miles and cat D but pretty cheap. What are your thoughts? Would you steer clear?
    He hasn't got much details of the bike history apart from service book apparently as he only took it in PX last week.

2. cheap, it definitely is. trader seems honest enough. it will be worth getting insurance quotes on it, as some underwriters are a bit fuuny about cat d vehicles (equally some are fine with them).

I am guessing it was a left side damage as the left side panel doesn't quite fit up to the nose section too well, and the left fork stanchion looks in worse state than the right. definitely worth a look-see to be sure in your own mind.

as an aside, I like the 1978 KTM 400 mx he has for sale too.

if your looking for an 848 and not worried about residuals, then defintely worth a look and if happy, a haggle.

just my 2p worth, fwiw.

Pete

3. I don't think it's that cheap considering it was written off and has 32k regardless of how minimul the damage was it's still a cat d bike. It's not an evo so looking around you could get a low mileage one for around the 6k mark. Depends what you want it for I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yeah I guess so, looking into
    It some more I think you're right, for a little more wonga I'd be best getting something less leggy and not cat D.
    In terms of common 848 niggles (especially at the higher end of mileage spectrum), I've heard of leaking radiators, rectifiers and main bearings going, anything else that's costly?

Cheers

5. Yes the upgrade to the 1098/1198/1199 when you decide the 848 just doesn't scratch that itch :D. Andy

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I've just found that out myself! 848 is being traded in this week for an 1199
    Had my 848 nearly 3 years and not had a problem with it, great bikes

• Like Like x 1
  7. I might as well stick my head above the parapet and admit I just bought this bike :D

Paid a shade over £4k for it. I have already polished off the sticker residue, removed pillion footpegs, fitted a seat cowl and a clear double bubble screen. I also took off the rim tape which isn't my taste.

In the last 3k it has had a ton of work done including full service with belts and valve clearances, chain / sprockets and tyres. It also has a LOT of service history with it which is what tipped the balance for me. Runs great and looking forward to a fun summer on it. Obviously has a couple of marks around the body but is a lot better than I was expecting, and much better than the sheddy 749's I was originally looking at for the same money!

Hopefully the gamble pays off :p

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 15
  8. Excellent, hope all goes well.

9. Nice one! Glad you're happy-it really is a beautiful thing. Hope it rides just a as well as it looks. Nearly went for it but going to keep the 749s for a bit longer. Congratulations though! And if you decide sell in the future, do send me a message ;)

• Like Like x 1

10. nice bike!

may i ask are those different brakes to mine? yours are still brembo or another brand? (mine have red brembo lettering!)

and when changing your screen. how did you fit the 2 screws at the front. i cant for my oife reach them with what looks like removing the whole front end

11. I use long nose pliers to get to those two, held them below and turned from above - seem to remember used a lot of bad language on the way too.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I must just have skinny fingers

They were very awkward though!

13. Got a good few hundred miles in this weekend after I got the suspension sorted by FTR, it has transformed the bike! Also fitted a hugger to protect the new shock and some plain black grips.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Yours are the better ones ;)

15. there were different grades of brembos on these bikes?

16. Many changed for the monoblocs from 1098s. Think evo may have had them too not sure :)

17. Yes!

EVO brakes
    [​IMG]
    Non Evo brakes
    [​IMG]

18. They are quite a bit better too. Loads more bite than the cast ones :upyeah:

But you can pick up a used set for a couple of hundred quid, so not worth worrying about if you found the right old 848 :)

19. i find my brakes to be a little grabby at road speeds.

and when comming to a complete stop, just before infact and at like 1-3mph speeds when braking the is TONNES of feedback through the level, the lever actually feels like it sort of clicks a bit and jumps slightly. i quite like it.

but when used over that speed the brakes are not only smooth and INSANELY powerful. they confidence giving.

the thing stops quicker than i though a bike could ever xD

• Like Like x 1
  20. Forget all the 'it should be a quality bike for what I paid' crying of some multi and other owners, this is where the value comes in :upyeah:

Having jumped off an 848 with monoblocs and onto a well set up gixer k5 with 19x20 brembo mc, full race pads, braided hoses, I can tell you that the non bream callipers are shite by comparison, losing brakes after a few laps...whereas brembo mb's last all day and are totally consistent :)

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information