1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zagato Guzzi Cafe Racer

Discussion in 'Other Bikes' started by Oldrat, May 2, 2018.

1. #41 Oldrat, May 4, 2018
    Last edited: May 4, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Stucchi one piece fairing, which I modified to form lowers which can be removed for easy servicing. Lafranconi exhaust; Tomaselli carbon fibre fork brace; custom seat; spun ally bellmouths with mesh to keep the big stuff out of the carbs; Marzocchi rear shocks; air assisted front suspension; ally rear sets - make, I can't reacall; engine not overtuned but ports etc all polished; tin parts black powder coated; etc etc. Even a pair of air horns mounted in there if you look hard enough.

The two piece leathers were by Mammoth - really pretty good considering they weren't made to measure or very costly - I have a habit of colour matching bike to leathers and vice versa.

The Guzzi factory told me that I had the bike running better than any of the new ones that left the factory.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Plenty more on t’web. Here’s one ..

Linky

Google is your friend :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yes 40 years and no tax or MOT required.

My Guzzi was registered in January 1980 as such it was obviously made in '79. I have been told that I might be able to get MOT/tax free from 2019 but would need some kind of proof of manufacture to show 1979?

However further research with DVLA tells me that in order to qualify for previous year it needs to have been built before 1 January (it was) but also needs to be registered by 8th January and mine was registered on 9th January, so it looks like I'll probably need to fork out for tax and MOT next year again - arse...

5. Can't you use the effing internet Steve? Vehicles pre-1978 are exempt and to will soon be 1980. Why have a latent crack at me when you can't be bothered to check it yourself? It make you look like the deficient one, which surprises me.

6. That's OK Steve - I was in one of my steroid induced moods.
    AL

• Like Like x 2
  7. Late to the party (as usual)

First the bike in the original post is a beauty, I am well impressed with the quality of the build.

On the MGS-01 & the Ghezzi Brian Supertwin, the MGS-01 is a far more desirable bike in general. The Supertwin looks to me like an 1100 Sport engine or perhaps a V11, 2 valve engine.
    MGS-01 is 4V Hi Cam engine, developed from the Daytona & for track use, not street legal (although there are some out there) and requires more maintenance than a Helicopter and is probably about the same running costs.

I cannot remember but one of the Ghezzi Brian pair (or maybe both) were also involved with the MGS design.

No offence meant about the GB bike, they are rare & exclusive and certainly have a certain charm, but I'd need a step ladder under the seat to ride one.

My preference is Magni's creations over GB, but that's probably because I have no taste & short arse

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  8. @Oldrat - How did you get on with the Motoscope wiring? Ive got Motogadget stuff all over my KTM 525 supermoto. A friend at work is far better than me at wiring so wired the whole bike up, but i cant help thinking that it really should be gone over and done again (it all works) but could do with a rewire to tidy up. Ive done a couple of bits and pieces myself on it and i find the motoscope wiring in particular along with the switchgear to be way way to flimsy for the job it was created for. Just wondered if youve got any shots of the wiring...

9. I've an early M-Unit that I put into the Magni 1000 a while back, as part of a complete rewire I did on the refurb.

I went all push button switch gear. Also helped by providing a diagram for a MotoScope to guy in Oz for a build he was doing

No smoke from any of them and the Magni has been totally solid electrically

If you need help @comfysofa I might be able to give some assistance, PM me if you like.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. Nice looking bike @Oldrat top marks.
    Which model Guzzi did they bring out based on the Dr John one ?

11. Dr John had already tinkered with the Le Mans; the Le Mans II and III but the one he had most success with was the MkIV.

Guzzi didn't actually produce one based on what Dr John did to those models; but they introduced the fuel injected Daytona after he had been given engines by the factory.

The Daytona, IMO, can't really be compared with the original Le Mans models - the name sort of gives it away; and it was a completely different bike.

However, when I was considering buying another Guzzi; I would have gone for the Daytona over and above the same era 'new' Le Mans model.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Well Al beat me to it

The Daytona was probably the bike most associated with John Wittner and he spent time at the factory (Mandello Del Lario) developing it

It was a beam frame design, totally different as Al pointed out, I had an early one and it was no Ducati, it's a long bike, very stable, but needs manhandling and God help you if you need to change lines quickly mid corner. Best on fast A roads, the later models addressed some of the issues as the head angle was steepened and WP USD replaced the woeful Marzocchis it was originally equipped with.

A lot of owners of early bikes swapped the forks out for GSXR forks which I'm told improved them. If I was going for one the bike to have IMHO is the Daytona RS, that was my Daytona back in the day

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2

13. Ha ha
    Me and wiring :cold_sweat:

I got it done for me.. Rupes rewires.
    I have some odd pics of the wiring, but I can take some better ones for you.
    :upyeah:

14. How much was that if you dont mind me asking?? expensive i bet!!

15. T’was nowhere near as cheap as a std loom, that’s for sure. But I did ask for ultra tidy and top spec connectors and cabling wraps etc...
    eek!
    The Motogadet bits themselves were an arm and a leg. ISTR that the speedo was the wrong side of £400 alone.

16. Can you read your speed, etc in bright sunlight?

The display looks incredible but is it practical? (Is anything bike-related practical LOL)

17. Yep - speedo works fine in bright light....its one of the best displays (bar race jobbies) that ive ever seen...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Guzzi prototype 2.jpg Guzzi prototype 3.jpg Guzzi prototype 5.jpg Guzzi prototype 12.jpg

• Like Like x 2

19. Agreed, better than my Beemer

• Like Like x 1
  20. @Borgo Panigale That bike I think was developed by a Spanish team of guys if I remember correctly & was for sale at one point

It was a Ducati beater, I think around 140bhp.

However the heads & belt drives (& God knows what else) were total one offs, I wish Guzzi had done something similar I think that machine is awesome

Thanks for posting it up

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information