1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zumo Xt Question

Discussion in 'Clothing, Gadgets & Equipment' started by Mac, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Calling all Zumo XT owners...

Is there a Garmin PC app that you can use to plan routes? I've not had a previous satnav so don't know Basecamp and there doesn't seem to be anything that comes with it (or is even mentioned in the instructions - they seem to want you to do it all on the GPS).

2. Nothing by Garmin other than Basecamp. I’m currently trying to get my head around MyRouteApp which is internet only and isn’t on your PC so you either need WiFi or a LAN. As a total novice I can feel my life’s blood ebbing away as I waste more and more of my (and other peoples’) time trying to make something work. Where basecamp is free, MyRouteApp is either free or subscription and as you can guess, the free software has very basic functionality. There are at least a couple of other applications I read about in passing but not sure how compatible they are with the Garmin. I have one more attempt to try when it stops raining and if that fails, mate, it is going in the bin as a useless piece of shit. Nothing should be this complicated in life. Andy

3. Thanks. Have you tried TYRE?

4. My understanding was that Tyre had been superseded by MyRouteApp but not according to this, https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/tyre. I know one or two people who say they still use Tyre but I was already being pushed down the MRA route (no pun intended). Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Basecamp is woth sticking with IMHO. Like all software it is a PITA to get used to but once there the rewards out way the pain. With the right versions you can flip btween BC and Googl Earth

• Like Like x 1
  6. Calling @Bumpkin for your needs. Tyre a pita with access now and myrouteapp is so simple and transportable that Basecamp is pretty redundant now unless you are plotting a route by the millimetre.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Hi Jim

Basecamp is the defacto standard for Garmin, especially as it uses the same mapping as on your device so, in theory (and it's almost always the case), routes plotted there will route the same on the road. Up until recently I would have recommended using Basecamp as part, if not the main element, of your route plotting suite.

However, with the release and continued development of MyRouteApp, IMHO, we have a new all in one solution. This is especially the case with the XT as it has options within it's trip planner to do a few Basecamp type things that MRA doesn't.

Advantages of MRA (the paid for Gold version) over Basecamp include:
    • Google Maps including Satellite and Streetview for familiarity and checking roads, fuel stops etc.
    • Michelin Mapping for those green edged scenic routes that tend to make for great riding too.
    • Cloud based so all your routes on your PC are also automatically on your mobile (transfer from there to your XT wirelessly).
    • No HD sapping mapping on your PC or need to update it, the XT does this over WiFi without needing a PC unlike previous Zumos.
    • HERE mapping and, importantly, routing option. This is the same as Garmin use (not really an advantage over Basecamp but relevant)
    • You can share your routes with other MRA users selectively as a group, handy for tours.
    • Quite extensive POI collection.

Willing to run you though it on Zoom if you like. Easier than trying to explain it here. I'm working on a Youtube video or two on the subject but early days (aka thinking about it phase).

There was recently an offer for a lifetime subscription for €99 for existing subscribers (€30 per annum). Now expired but there may well be others along soon.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. There's also a lot of tutorial info on their site, including recorded and live webinars focussing on particular areas of the app. As a for-instance, there's one that shows how to ensure routes created for Garmin devices will follow the same route using TomTom and vice versa. I don't do enough touring to justify a dedicated satnav, so I use their navigation app too. Works very well, though the voice guidance is a little mechanical.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  9. Thanks, Chas, that'd be great.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information