1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

£31 Million Well Spent......

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by andyb, Dec 17, 2014.

1. Conveyancing is generally fixed fee. It's not litigation work.

2. This exercise was financed by the Ministry of Defence, which set it up. The MoD obviously has no budget for this, so had to approach the Treasury for it to be funded out of the contingency fund. This means extra money going from the Treasury to the MoD on top of the ordinary Vote allocations.

So guess what? The MoD loaded everything they could possibly squeeze, in the way of staff salaries, cost of premises, computers, contractors, etc etc., into the "cost" of the enquiry - and then doubled it. Most likely the Treasury will refuse to pay most of the bill, and the eventual figure will be small fraction of the headline one. That will of course never be mentioned in the media.

The present government is very pleased to publicise impressive-looking figures which they can blame on the previous government, as governments always are. And the chance to smear PIL a bit is just an added bonus, given that PIL has been a thorn in their side.

Why do some people fall for this stuff every time? Manufactured indignation, synthetic outrage ...

3. Whist it is usually safe to assume that things are rarely as they seem and hidden agendas are often in play, unless you have insider knowledge it is difficult to truly understand what is going on sometimes.

4. i bet the lawyers got their full amount.............and some!

5. Are you suggesting that Pete was indulging in a bit of subterfuge there to deflect some of the responsibility away from his mates ?

I am shocked :Angelic:

6. Petes response is just as vague as the original story with the key phrase "most likely"..........

7. Because it's a fair game example of waste, deceit and greed that people can use as a proxy for their objections to those who advance their self-serving interests.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information