1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

03 St4s Won't Start. Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Sport Touring' started by indiecourier, May 14, 2017.

1. OK chaps, stand down ...... it lives.

I'd just come to the conclusion that the crank sensor had failed as sparks had gone from intermittent to none.

Was about to order a Fiat part from motor factors when Derek suggested a final test ... see, or rather hear, if the fuel pump actions when the engine turns on the starter. So I did .... and the bike started!

I can only assume that breaking the sensor connector, to see if it looked the same as the Fiat one pictured, revitalised a dry connection. Typically it was about the only connector that I hadn't broken and Electroprotected when I first had the bike.

I would like to thank you all for your interest and suggestions. Beer's on me if I ever lucky enough to bump into any/all of you.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nice one Derek, it's quite pleasing when its a cheep fix, although time consuming.
    Steve

3. Glad you got it running again!

Whist you have all the panels off, or maybe next time you have the panels off, maybe give all of the connectors you can find a clean and a squirt of something like this:-
    Servisol Super 10 Switch Contact Cleaner 200ml | Maplin

Also, one tip I found is to use a very fine sewing needle in any female spade connectors (e.g. coils and all of the superseal-type connectors) to see which ones have worn through vibration or a lot of disconnection and are no longer giving a good contact with their male counterpart. I fixed an intermittent issue with coil LT connections like this. If the female terminals are too loose, they can usually be popped out of the connectors with the same needle, given a gentle tweak with a pair of pliers, and put back in.

Hope that's of some use,

#23 Turbogeek, May 16, 2017
    Last edited: May 17, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information