1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 04 749dark Fork Service/upgrade?

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by Blakey749s, Mar 27, 2018.

1. I just got back from parcmotor/Valencia, awesome tracks. I started to suffer some front end issues at Valencia, the front felt like it was momentarily locking and releasing under hard braking, possibly bottoming out? Weird thing is the zip tie didn't go below 27mm even with adjustment and reasonably hot weather. Tyres set to 25/31 hot. I'm Definitely overdue a fork service so im gonna start there and then re set sag etc. I set to 30mm front rider sag, 15 mm rear, rear chewed a bit so adjusted comp and it cleaned up.

I'm 14.8stone with gear, Which fork oil Brand? Grade? Do you guys recommend?

Are there any particular seals I should get as this bike is just for track? Found loads on eBay but they all look similar.

Has anyone upgraded their valves? Ie k tech? Gonna do another track day with serviced forks before I make any upgrades but just interested in people's experiences. Also wondered if I need a specific kit as I have comp in one leg and rebound in the other.

Also, my brakes started overheating, my disks have a sort of purple tinge now... What pads do you guys recommend for track use? (Ebc fitted, not sure which ones though)

Thanks for any help

2. I noticed these lines running across the tyre

image.jpeg

3. Which forks have you got? Standard Showa or Ohlins? Certainly a fork service can be a good baseline as you'll know that everything is working as per stock, however if you get weight-matched springs (linear rather than progressive) and your service done at the same time, and set the forks up properly then you're going to know whether you then need revalving etc. Putoline or Ohlins oil seems favoured for track, Putoline for road. Do take the time to properly clean all the valves etc. to ensure that they're working tip top before spending money. Depending on when it was last done, that might be up to 14 year old oil in there with associated crud. :mask:

General consensus seems to be that the Showa are not inferior to the OE Ohlins if set up correctly for you as a rider. RT Ohlins are a different kettle of fish.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. Thanks for replying

Standard Showa forks.

Cool, will get some linear springs and do a thorough service with the ohlin oil. Think I put 10w in my road bike when I serviced them a few years back. Will go with that and see how it goes.

5. I’d agree with Fire3500, the Showa forks are fairly good. I’ve hand no problems in the past, as long as they are looked after and serviced well should be good.

If you are thinking about upgrading the forks or internals, I have some 749s forks knocking around with k-Tech internals that I had considered flogging some time back.

• Like Like x 1
  6. I know I should have serviced them sooner but I didn't have an under yoke paddock stand. I had to do my 's' with an engine hoist as there's no hole in the bottom yoke... I'm slowly building up the tools to keep these things going!

I'm a bit strapped after my trip but am defo interested in the forks, do they have linear springs? do you know if they'd fit my current yokes? (With the hole) and how much do you want for them?

could I drill a hole in the 's' yoke? All other forks seem to live with out a solid bottom?!

Thanks for replying

7. No problem, they aren’t going anywhere quick. They would slot straight into your yoke.

Can’t recall off the top of my head the kit but can check. If you want to drop some Ohlins in you need the bottom yoke holes widened to 53mm. Unlike the Showa’s they are tapered, so the top yoke is fine but bottom is different.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. On the brakes front, I use HPK discs with carbon/ceramic pads. They provide amazing performance and one of the best buys IMO.

What discs and pads do you currently have? The standard discs should be fine, with some good pads. Personally I like the feel of the Brembo pads but they are expensive.

Which tyres are you running? Pirelli’s? The lines almost look like they have been made from a slatted surface.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I'm running the stock brembo disks, which I'm sure at my level are fine, will check out the brembo pads

Thanks for the fork info, doubt I'll be upgrading to ohlins forks on my budget lol but it's all interesting to know. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought ohlins wouldn't give a bigger range of adjustment just more clicks in between?

Re the tyre, The bike was loaded on a stillage for transport, it took a chunk out on the way there but luckily wasn't as deep as a wear indicator. Maybe the loading ramp I guess? Tyres are Michelin power slick Evo, other than a pressure cock up on first day at Valencia they were awesome, way beyond my talent. Still got a day or so left.

How much do I need to hide from the Mrs for the forks?

Thanks again for replying

10. In order of cost:
    - service and change oil and springs to be your weight
    - above plus valuing to allow more oil to flow and be more adjustable
    - replace internals for ktech, ohlins, mupo whatever
    - replace forks with used kit fitted, note you may need to change the springs still and may need a service
    - replace forks for ohlins

Imho I’d either replace the internals with a used kit or, if a set available (like above) grab those and sell my standard ones off. If the springs are OK, you can probably do an oil change at home, so cost/benefit wise probably best option

Btw what about the rear? I’ve alsways been told it’s more crucial to get the rear right on a Ducati than the front. So if spending £500 on upgrades, get the shock sorted then spend what’s left on springs and oil on the front.

Hth

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. Thanks for replying, and for a good summary of my options.

I've ordered oil and seals so will service my stock forks first, but the potential of 's' forks with internals is very tempting. And selling on my forks will make that easier on the wallet

I'm sure my rear shock is in need of attention too. after setting sag and making one change from stock damping settings (recommendation from Gary the tyre/sus guy with no limits) the rear seemed good to me, the tyre looked fine but I'm sure it's not optimal. as the front was giving me a strange feel I thought I'd start there.

12. If you have it open, would be worth checking springs installed and changing if not in the right range £100 for springs is worth it imho. If it’s a track mule, switching out the progressive to linear springs help too. Or you can play with oil viscosity and air gap and see how that goes.

Have a look here (if you haven’t already), change the model to whatever you need but you can add your weight etc and it will tell you the springs you need based on use. Plus it gives standard ones, oil levels etc normally.

http://racetech.com/ProductSearch/12/Ducati/749S/2004-05

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. Quality, thanks very much

14. Ive been focused on my road bike recently but finally fitting in my fork service, now theyre out ive noticed an adjuster in the bottom of the fork leg.

I thought as its an 04 dark (registered in 05) it came with comp in the right leg and rebound in the left leg...

Does this mean the right leg top screwdriver adjuster is for comp and the left top is redundant, and the left bottom adjuster is for rebound and the right bottom adj is redundant? Or does this mean these forks are comp(top) and rebound(bottom) in each leg? I'll have a play when theyre back together just wondered if anyone knew as this means my sus settings have been out the whole time....

Thanks for any info

15. Didn’t realise they weren’t fully adjustable. Would make sense though, to have the top blank, as the internals will be the same as the fully adjustable ones so comp one end and reb the other

• Like Like x 1
  16. Just finished, still off the bike, Both have comp and reb adjustment.. As my bikes an 04 registered in 05 i im guessing some 749 base model forks were put on. The other thing i noticed were the springs looked linear, as in same space between coils from top to bottom. And i thought id read they came with progressive?

Anyway, theyre serviced now. Im hoping new oil and setting my new found adjusters properly will help with this locking issue. Im At silverstone in may so will find out then.

Thanks for your help

17. When? I'm there on 21st.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Sounds like spring had been changed already

• Like Like x 1
  19. If you're there more than one day then book a bit of time at Baines Racing perhaps?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Im there on the 22nd with no limits

They must have been changed, the guy i bought it off looked after it well, had 3 nice ducs in his garage.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information