1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 Days Blah Blah...tfto

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by bradders, Sep 8, 2014.

1. The Lords is a bit too big for me Fin. I'd sooner sell it to Weatherspoons.

2. said it before, there must be a second opportunity to stop/check short term plans.
    get them elected pay them a proper good wage, if there found to be corrupt minimum sentence should be jail plus pay back all illegal gains. and any wage they have earned.

3. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. It wasn't a criticism of Cameron. An earlier comment was made that YES had not sorted out currency and the EU with any certainty. I was making the point that they attempted to but were blocked by Cameron.

Ergo, it was not their fault they could not answer these questions.

From my point of view, I would suggest that it is a moral imperative that all politicians do all they can to ensure the people can make as an informed choice as possible. Cameron didn't. So here I will criticise him for letting down Scottish tax payers. He represents us in the EU and he failed us.

Again, I take you all forward to the EU REFERENDUM. how are you going to feel when the same happens to you? Fundamental questions which need to be answered to give as full a picture as possible, won't be, just to suit one small group of people's end game. Is that democracy? I think not!

5. What a partisan load of rubbish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Agreed. People forget the Lords is a revising chamber, it does not draft legislation and it cannot force its will on Parliament. Therefore I not sure there is any advantage in the upper house being elected. We might just end up with two parliaments that just talk instead of act. One is enough. There may be disadvantages in that elections might introduce the very short-termism that plagues the commons and entrench party political partisanship. I'm not against life peers per se but I don't like the idea of political parties elevating their own cronies to the lords in the hope of implanting allies. Maybe members of the upper house should recruit their own members and former politicians should be banned. Real-world experts only.

7. Parliament's principal function is passing acts, i.e. legislation, and it has often been criticised in recent years for passing too many. You seem to be saying that Parliament does not pass enough legislation, and that it should act instead of talking. That's a complaint I don't think I have ever heard before.

So enlighten us please: what acts exactly do you think Parliament ought to be passing, over and above those it passes now?

8. So: a self-perpetuating oligarchy, not answerable to the electorate or anybody else. Great.

In Franco's Spain the Parliament (Cortes) consisted of experts representing their various fields (doctors, engineers, lawyers, soldiers, etc), appointed but not elected. The Falange thought this was a good way of having a representative body without the inconvenience and risk of democratic elections.

9. My suggestions to the good people of England for the upcoming EU referendum

1) mobilise your community
    2) organise debates
    3) look at what happened in Scotland in terms of the media and business
    4) develop strategies and methods of communication to circumvent problems with business, media
    5) Make sure at the end of it you are in charge of your great country and not the minority

10. followed immediately by "Cameron didn't"

11. i wouldn't read to much into what is said on here or the news papers, next you will be telling me that since the referendum they are reporting new techniques and finds in the north sea. and despite 99% of people and businesses consulted in the central region regarding fracking don't want it, Westminster has decided to sell off the rights anyway. how would edindbro and fife feel about that considering they voted no and will be most affected. newspapers the bollox they talk i don't believe it for a Minuit.thank god it's all over.

• Like Like x 1
  12. And so the status quo has been maintained and it's back to normal business, ignoring the desires and wishes of the majority to benefit the minority ( big business). Capitalism don't you just love it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Which is why I urge people to take control of their country.

Would you rather 1000 Starbucks not paying tax and exporting profits abroad or 1000 locally owned cafés paying tax and spending profits here?

14. That's is a fact I am afraid. He didn't want to engage. I asked my local (Tory) MP why and he could not answer.
    Shameful really, politicians of any brand who think they do not have to answer tithe public. Blairs gvt did the same all the time

"A minister was not available for comment" was the norm on the news

15. A little bit of "on-topic" humour.

I found it funny, anyway.

Pete

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. That is absolutely brilliant!
    I would say LMAO, but I never use that sort of internet speak.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information