1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000 Ss Starting Issue

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by obelix, Jun 22, 2020.

1. Hi guys, I am after some advice following a starting issue.

I went out on Wednesday no problem at all, I wanted to go out this morning and it would not start.
    Key in, needles go through the sequence, I press start and all it happens are clicks.
    Battery is charged and 1 year old, checked all the fuses and switched the 2 relays by the battery....nothing.
    Then I took the fairing off to access the starter......got a wire from battery to the starter and it finally fired!!!!! and now it starts fine off the button.

Is there an external relay/solenoid between the battery and the starter that could be at fault? or we are looking at the starter itself?

Cheers

2. hi the relay that can cause trouble should be found on the right of the bike just in front of the vertical cylinder the two pin connector can come loose and cause starting issues
    could be worth looking into upgrading the battery leads can aid starting really well
    also not unknown for starters to wear internally
    but would start with relay......

3. Thanks Johnboy, I have located the relay/switch, I will give all the contacts a good clean before I start spending some money...:upyeah::upyeah::upyeah:

4. update.....the bike started with a direct lead from the battery to the starter.
    From that moment she started from the start button every single time until last week.
    And now I am back to square one except nothing happens when I put a lead from the battery to the Starter.
    it looks in a sorry state to be honest being exposed to road crap.
    Shall I assume that my starter has packed up ?

5. Did you upgrade the cables? Makes a big difference.
    If you simplify the circuit by excluding the switches, then the only logical parts to blame, are the battery and the starter. The battery MAY be at fault, even though its newish. Try a different battery to turn it over if possible. This eliminates this part.

The starter bushes can get worn, and can be replaced. Electrex World do them and Ive done it before. Failing that, a complete starter may need bought. I would be bench testing this first though with a battery you know to be good. The starters a bit of a hassle to remove, but easy enough to do.

6. Thanks for the feedback.....

Not yet ...this was on my todo list to upgrade the cables although starting has never sluggish.

I will try with a different battery just in case.
    Left side engine cover needs to be removed to access the starter hidden screws correct?

7. Yes, theres three screws in total.

8. Thanks!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information