1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V4 1000cc V4r

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by cookster, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Yes I got it in 2016. I dont think the earlier model is that much different, just not considered such a good complete bike? I forget the exact differences; still has all the lightened internals just not the titanium exhaust valves which probably doesn't make much difference to the feel just longetivity? To be fair the later bike can still be quite a fight to ride hard.

2. I was told that they pretty much put the SL engine (with one or two small differences) in the 2015 R and that it was quite different to the 2013/2014 R, which I have as a track bike. Hence why I'm interested in the comparison:)
    Trouble is the 2015 onwards is still strong money :(

3. The 15R's have about 75/80% of a similar engine to the SL. Also on the 13/14R's isn't there an option to change head angles? Got the impression that this was 1 of the positive differences between the 1199 1st Gen R's and the updated 2nd Gen versions. I think the SL's had them back in 14.

4. I was fortunate enought to own both. No changing the head angles, it was the swing arm that was adjustable and on both models. The second gen R has a different rake as did the SL, but this was through a shim kit in the head stock I believe.

The engines truly are night and day between R's. I'll be honest, the premium paid for the 2014 R over the S model didn't really feel like value for money to me. The 2015 R was a different kettle of fish, the engine just keeps pulling like a freight train, absolutely fantastic. Bare in mind though, it was geared for top end to compete in the WSBK so you do have to keep it north of 7000 rpm to get the best out of it where as the <2014 R has more torque lower down.

Personally I went for the later R more for the mechanical suspension rather than the engine but then found the engine to be an absolute bomb.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information