1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1000ssie Ds/900sl Hybrid

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Nasher, Feb 9, 2021.

1. I should say that fitting the Projector, and sidelight, is covered earlier in the thread. And the electrical connection is plug and play.

Nasher.

2. Anyone have any suggestions as to what this bike is worth?

1000SS DS with 900SL Bodywork, Ohlins rear shock and all the other 1000SS refinements.
    have a read of the thread.

I need to make space for another project, my M1000 isn't going anywhere, and I'm finding my 999 more comfy as an Older bloke than this bike.
    It looks wonderful, and I wish I could make space and justify a 4th bike, but one really has to go and I'm thinking at the moment it will be this.

All the standard parts are stored and available to go with it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lovely bike. Thoughtful mods done well.
    Should fetch good money and won’t hang about long, I’m sure.
    If I was in the market for another one, this would definitely be of interest.
    GLWS.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Let me know how much and when you decide to put it up for sale.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I'm not sure if you have come to any conclusion on this, but I have listed my project (851 / ST2) on ebay at £4200. My theory is simply to pitch it at 'what do i want for it' and so far no bites! :joy: So, I think I will need to reduce it.

Yours is a lovely build and a very usable bike, so I would hope you could get good money for it. Something slighty above the SSie money would seem appropriate. It was kind of my gut on the ST. More than an ST, but way less than an 851.
    I don't know if you have come to any conclusion around pricing, but as a guide I have a ST2 / 851 'tribute' modified bike up for sale on eBay for £4200 (offers accepted) because I thought that's roughly what I want for it. Nothing too scientific... However, lots of watchers and no bites would suggest I might have gone a little high. We'll see.

Yours is a beautiful build and by far and away a massive improvement over the SSie styling, so I would assume you could get much better money than a sorted SSie.

Good luck!

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Thanks Witchellski.

I've just got back from doing @40miles on it and have to say I know I'm going to regret it going, but out of my 3 bikes I think it's my least favourite to actually ride, despite looking great.

I wish I could keep it really, but I want another project on my bench, and selling 1 of my 3 bikes would give the space and funds needed to start another project.

I still have no idea of what I'd want for it.
    If somebody had a crashed or abused Multistrada Enduro to swap or PX it would sway my judgement.

• Like Like x 1
  7. I've definitely decided it's the 1000SS/SL that has to go.

There are only 2 others for sale at the moment that I can find.
    One at £5,950 and one at £5995, both with dealers.
    Both have more miles on them, mine has only done 11,600 and of course neither come with £400 worth of Carbie SS tank, and another £400 worth of Genuine DP Remus cans.
    My time to do the conversion of course comes free as I enjoyed it.
    It does have the standard flaky engine paint, but so do the ones at the dealers.

So I think I'm going to start at £6K, but that would obviously include all the original 1000SS stuff I took off, and I'd put a new MOT on it, which will have to include me putting a new set of tyres on it.

8. To update the situation with this bike.

Those that have read the threads will know I sold it but have ended up with it back in my workshop.

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/that-didnt-go-well.92264/

https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1000ds-snapped-belt-recovery.92380/

Lots on here, and the Monster forum, told me I was mad to sell it after the work I’d put in, and I had lots of comments about how nice it is etc.
    Conversely, nobody actually thought it special enough to buy it, except the guy who ended up with it briefly via Ebay.

Anyway, it’s running again but needs a little fettling like a full service to get it back running how I’d like.

I do still have the issue that I want a Multistrada to do some miles on, but don’t have room for a 4th bike and have the space to work on one.
    I might have to find a lifting bench that goes straight up and down rather than up and back which needs loads of space behind it.
    Over the coming months I have some work to do on my M1000 and 999 to get them where I want them, but I’m also going to leave this 1000SS partially stripped so I can get it a bit better than it is.

When I built it I didn’t do much with the base bike, so the engine, wiring etc needs a better clean and tidy up.

I want to remake the Exhaust brackets.
    The Left hand exhaust sits slightly higher and a little closer in than the Right hand side one, and actually the Header pipes are really corroded and need a polish.

I’ve already got a better set of forks built up for it which I’ll fit.

Plus a few small sundry jobs.

But it's definitely staying with me for the foreseeable future.

9. As mentioned one of the things I want to do is put a better set of forks in it, cosmetically as well as functionally.

The Ethos behind this bike is for people who think they know about older Ducatis to see it and start asking questions.
    It needs to look like a superlight from 20ft away, but then cause confusion close up.

So I wanted to put a set of my Hybrid 848,1098/SS radial caliper forks in it, but refinish them to look similar to the SL colour scheme.

For those who've not seen the other posts, I've figured how how to build all the internal parts from a set of 848/1098 forks with their Radial Caliper bottom castings into earlier SSetc Outers that then fit the earlier 50/54mm yokes.

I brought a set of SS Showa non- adjustable forks:
    1 750SS ie Forks.jpg

A set of 848 Forks with corroded Outers:
    2 848 forks.JPG

Some old really corroded SS adjustable Forks:
    3 900 SS Forks.JPG

That I just needed the outer part of the caps from:
    4 end caps.JPG

And a pair of Radial Calipers:
    5 Hmot 796 Calipers.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  10. I painted the 848 fork bottoms Silver:
    6 sprayed bottoms.JPG

Had the SS Outers Anodised Gold:
    7 Anodised outers.JPG

Painted the calipers Gold:
    8 Painted cals.JPG

Then put it all together:
    9 assembled forks.JPG

9a assembled forks.JPG

These will be going into the bike over the Winter.

• Like Like x 7
  11. Can you use a hoist to lift it straight up towards the roof?
    DSC_0405.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks DanSS600, but my workshop roof beams wouldn't hold the weight.
    Also, I've found in the past that suspending Outboard engines to work on them always gives me an issue when trying to undo tight fasteners or do them back up to a reasonable Torque.
    I always found I was fighting to stop the engine moving rather than put all my effort and control into the task at hand.

13. I've been considering ways the help keep this bike a little cooler and will mock up soon the Multistrada 1000DS Oil cooler and hoses I have to see if there is enough room just behind bottom of the nose cone.
    The cooler is a bit wider but nowhere near as tall as the 1000SS one, but is on the end of much longer hoses, so could be better for cooling the Oil. It would also give a better path for cooling air into the V of the engine and the Vertical Cylinder, rather than block that Air like the standard one does.

But today I had a look at a couple of spare Oil coolers I have.
    The first is as used on the 1000SS and a whole range of other Ducati bikes.
    The second is an earlier 1990's 900SS one.

The earlier Cooler looks to me like it would do a better job of cooling the Oil, but may impede the flow of air more.

As you can see the earlier cooler is slightly narrower than the later one 210mm to 225mm:
    PB060060.JPG

But is taller 90mm to 75mm:
    PB060059.JPG

And significantly thicker 40mm to 30mm:
    PB060061.JPG

Earlier Cooler.
    210 x 90 = 18,900mmsq with 9 active cooling paths and 40mm thick.

Later Cooler.
    225 x 75 = 16,875mmsq with 6 active cooling paths and 30mm thick

But the Earlier coolers Oil filled galleries are more tightly packed with less surface area of finning between them.

Does anyone have any evidence that the earlier but far more expensive to manufacture cooler is better than the later one?

14. My superlight has twin oil coolers on it. They are on either side of the engine mounted about half way up. It was modded like that when I bought it.
    Can take some pics if you want.

15. Yes please.

16. That was a mod Baines Racing developed wasn’t it? Certainly interested in seeing some photos, and details of the coolers (make and p/n) if it’s visible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Not oil cooler related but RSR Moto make some carbon ducts that direct additional cooling air to the rear cylinder on 91-98 900’s, although realise your issue was with the front cylinder...

18. Yes they are Baines racing . These pics are from a CD I have from when the bike was restored a few years ago, I hope they are of some use/help! .

_DSC2217.JPG

_DSC0363.JPG

_DSC2197.JPG

_DSC2190.JPG

19. That's the same double-cooler Baines kit that I put on my '97 900SS, though I set mine up vertically for better airflow.
    Sorry - too long ago to remember details...

20. Thanks Doggy, interesting images of the Baines solution.
    It would appear to increase the Cooler area whilst opening up airflow into the V.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information