1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 R Restoration

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Ash34, Nov 21, 2017.

1. I've just opened negotiations on a full F012 RS gear box, just in case you understand ;). Andy

• Like Like x 1
  2. Went to see the gearbox problem yesterday and here it is, the edges of the dogs are rounded. New gears on order along with new crankshaft bearing because that was worn and they always wear at the flywheel side.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  3. Are you having new gears debuted and superfinished

4. What’s debuted and super finished?

I’m replacing with genuine Ducati original parts. The plan is the sell the bike once restoration is complete and there are some things that I would never be able to recover the money for, a Nova gearbox for example, because a potential buyer would never want to pay the cost of that on top of the cost of the bike.

5. If you're willing to put a standard gearbox back in I'd be interested in the Nova...

6. Not a very exciting update but the scuffed side panels have had new paint.

[​IMG]

Frame is on the way back tomorrow.

#46 Ash34, Dec 19, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
  7. Not sure what you mean? I haven’t got a Nova gearbox. I’m saying it doesn’t make financial sense for me to buy one now.

8. Ah sorry OK! haha, yeah I misread that for sure!

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  9. They put all the cogs into what looks like a cement mixer with ceramic balls for a day which polishes them and smooths off sharp edges. If you look in my album “748RS to 853” there are a couple of pictures of the process. Andy

10. Oh right. No I’m not having that done.

I would have thought that straight edges are a bonus in a gearbox.

11. It's "deburring" to remove the excess metal left behind by the machining process of making the gears, and the "super finish" polishes the gears to make them as flat as possible, allowing better surface to surface contact and therefore improved power transfer with less wear.
    It's worth doing if you can as it's not expensive and improves the gears/gearbox.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. A Nova or BSD uprated gearbox would be a far better bet than RS. As they are also weak

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I am sure they might be but sadly neither are an affordable option whereas the 1198 RS parts are. Andy

14. All the images I've seen of this being done also include the shafts.

15. Only my gears got done on my 853 build. Andy

16. Everything I hear from engine builders is that if it’s apart, do that to the box, he,ps to slow down the rate at which the gearbox will fail (and makes a QS a viable option).

Obviously down the pub as I don’t have a mechanical or technical degree and insight. Even tho if that’s from people who build these things for high end motor sport :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. The frame came back from being coated just before Christmas and the rolling chassis has been put together ready for the engine in January.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  18. A bit more progress with the test build today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  19. Looking cool :cool::upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. I'm sure there's something missing from this pic. :thinkingface:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information