1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

996 1098 Side Stand Mod

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by cookster, Sep 10, 2018.

1. hi guys i know this has been cover in detail else where but my 996 has the side stand switch still active will fitting the 1098/1198 side stand affect this??

cheers

2. No. The switches are the same as well, IIRC.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. I’ve got the 1098 stand on mine and the 748/998 side stand switch.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Guessing it bolted straight on mate?

5. Yes pal. Bracket, switch, job lot.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I have a 1098 stand on my 748. Much better lean angle. Slightly bigger footprint. Easiest mechanical job you'll ever do.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Just looked at this info I'll be changing mine for a 1098. Worried about walking away from it when filling up

• Like Like x 1
  8. There’s been some discussion on this on the 999 section.
    If you can secure a 3mm or so steel plate at the bottom of the bracket fork, it limits the arc the stand travels through and cures the problem.
    On the 999 at least, the problem appears to be caused by the he end stop for the stand digging into the soft aluminium, which extends the arc the stand travels through, which brings it back in under the bike too much.
    This effectively shortens the stand and places more pressure everywhere, which is well worth avoiding.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Need to get one ordered next week

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Guys quick question on this, I was looking at a microfiche for the 1080 on the star twin website, the part number was 55610461A, however on another website it says that 55610462A superseded 55610461A. Can someone confirm that both parts are suitable?

Thanks,
    Damian.

11. Could the difference have been just the colour? There won’t be much if any difference between them IMO.

Ian

12. No worries... surprised that bike of yours didn’t have one on to begin with, with it being so well sorted!
    Well worth doing!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. The 1098/1198 side stand also allows you to have a little more rear ride height and still have a really good lean angle 20181125_074220.jpg 20181125_074200.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Such an improvement over standard, thanks for the photos Martin.

• Like Like x 1
  15. hi chaps do you change the bracket as well or can I just change the actual stand bit??

16. I just changed the stand leg, used the existing bracket on my 996. Just a note, mine was never fitted with a switch, not sure what year they started

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information