1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Vs 1198

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by NoGutsNoGlory, Sep 19, 2017.

1. This is what I like so much about this forum! Its not everyday you come across such nice folk whom are willing to be as generous and offer something like this!

Credit to you @cookster, your a gentleman for offering!

#21 Ben Mallinson, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I'll 2nd that, I have had a lot of help and information passed on to me on here.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. @Ben Mallinson I'll always help if I can, one day it might be me that needs help.:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  4. We will have a whip round and buy you that straight jacket you've always wanted :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I had a 1098 and now have a 1199 and recently bought a 1198 to use on track. I enjoyed the 1198 so much i now use it on the road as well, the panni is faster, but the 1198 is nicer to ride

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. I had the 1199s mapped at Motorapido, it was mental but I have always preferred the aesthetics of the 848/1098/1198.
    I now have the 1198s and I don't regret buying it for 1 minute, my first ride on it was paddock hill at Brands Friday just gone :)

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes I have a base model in white that is up for sale on here and I have an 1198S that I am just about to fit a full system on :) (keeper)
    Oh and I have a 1098s Streetfighter too :)

8. Sounds good! I need another bike!

9. Cant justify having two sports bikes and my colour preference is the black 1198s :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. That's a really nice offer thank you. I don't suppose you are taking it to Donington on the 26th are you?

11. @NoGutsNoGlory im not unfortunately mate I'll be taking the gsxr. Try not to track the 1198 as much these days.

12. I had a base 1198 a few years ago. It was a lairy beast, especially with a 14T front sprocket. I sold it due to a back problem which I subsequently got sorted, and after riding a well sorted 1098R (Spareparts' one on here), I decided that I wanted another one, but a bike that was a little less of a handfull off the bottom and lower mid range. I since bought a low mileage 1098S. The 1098R engine character in my view is like a 1098S on steroids, rather than an 1198, which puts the extra power and torque in the wrong place, feeling like an over stroked 1098S.

I found the 1198 very entertaining at first, weirdly reminding me of my old KTM 525EXC Enduro bike, but you just seem to spend a lot of time managing down the power and torque rather than enjoying the ride and being smooth. Point to point it was a lot slower than my 2015 Fireblade I've had from new, mainly due to the engine characteristics.

The 1098S is just more pleasurable to ride fast or slow and a lot more manageable at the point where they clear their throat at 3.5k rpm through to about 6k rpm. Neither are as quick at the top as my ZZR1400 or Blade, so really it's just about what's easier and more rewarding in the mid range. For me, I prefer the 1098S, but I would happily have another 1198(S). I enjoy wheelieing, but would say that unless you are completely happy with unintentional regular wheelies, from the lower mid-range on, get a 1098 over an 1198. If you don't ride quick enough to worry about wheelieing either, you'd probably enjoy an 848 better if the ego can take it :D

For tart points thought he 1098S and 1098R wheels are the most attractive design out of all of the 1*98/848 range in my view :)

My 1198 with my old 04 R1
    [​IMG]

My current 1098S
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. 1198 and an r1 man got taste!!:upyeah:

14. :D Alas no more. The 4 below now! Just realised my profile pic on here is my old 1198 doing what they like to do best at inopportune times :D

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. My bike will be predominantly used on track so not sure whether to go for a Panigale instead now.
    Has anyone used a 1198 and 1199 on track?

16. My 1198 on track is sublime! Much better race bike than road bike. But mines not got any of the toys on it.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. ive used both,the panigale is faster outright ,but the 1198 is so much better and more involving to ride

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information