1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Vs 1198

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by NoGutsNoGlory, Sep 19, 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  1. For those that have had both the 1098 and 1198 - the OP is saying he likes his 1098 but wants more power (who doesn't?) yet when I read this thread all it seems to be doing is saying how great the 1198 is, yeah it has a bit more power and torque than the 1098 everywhere but is it really gonna be worth him going through the hassle and cost of changing?

OK if he wants what, 8-10hp more?

I'd say if he can swap for free or almost-free then why not otherwise it's a difficult one.

The only way to get a decent power increase from these engines is to spend on engine tuning, and that is neither cheap or typically reliable, a decent tuned motor build by someone good will cost a shit ton relative to the value of the bike whether it's a 1098 or 1198.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Prices always take a dip this time of year,i have noticed the mk1 r is creeping up in value,i remember last year they were fetching 17k now all seem to be up to 20k,dont get the v4 thing,most people buy Ducati's because they like twins the v4 may well be a success but i wont be breaking down the dealership door to but one.I purchased a 1199 base a couple of years ago for £9800 off a forum member so there has always been cheap ones out there.

• Like Like x 1
  3. If I was a professional or had any talent, perhaps.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I think this all comes down to: Do you want the fastest lap times or the most amount of work around a lap?

If you want the fastest lap times then don't buy a Ducati, with the possible exception of the new V4.

Sorry to say it, as I love Ducatis, but it's true.

5. My lap times are going the wrong way now so that isn't the main issue. I used to be fairly quick but big crashes and advancing years have slowed me down.
    I just expected a bit more from the 1098 but it's no where near a IL4 1000.
    Having said that I do like riding it and the corner speed is good and everyone loves it on a trackday;)

6. I'm faster on my gsxr than my 1198. Think it's more to do with the fact I don't care about the gsxr.

• Like Like x 1
  7. From what I see on track the modern 1000cc stuff from BMW and Japan wipe the floor with any current mass-produced Ducati.

They are faster at the end of the straights and they deal with the tight stuff way better.

I was passed by a 2017 BMWS1000RR on Hangar Straight the other day, I could keep with the fkr around the lap but every time we got on to that straight he just pulled tens of metres, and early on in the straight too.

These latest bikes have electronics that simply didn't exist when the 1098/1198/1098R were available and it helps get the power down, stopping the bike looping, and getting stopped, in a way that the bikes we're talking about can't match.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Exactly this.

I’m having to ride the wheels off my bike to compete with the ZX10R’s and S1000RR’s this year because my bike is 10 year old technology. I’m sorry to say it but I’m switching to Kawasaki for next year.

9. Think my next track bike is going to be an r1 they were flying round Donnington last week. Made everything else look slow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Think a panigale may keep up ;)

11. I’ve considered a Panigale but they’re still down on power and technology. Added to that is it would be double the price compared to a ZX10-R and Ducati parts aren’t as easily available as Japanese ones in my part of the world. Frustrating but true.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Not really mate, even Chaz Davies' bike (which has loads of special shit on it including a 30mm extended swingarm) has to ride the absolute tits off it to try and beat Rea's ZX10

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. The speed of a panigale is equall to anything out there. It also has at least equal technology. It is just more expensive than most and can be harder to ride (reading people who compare them)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Be interesting to see if they race the v4 .

15. Not enough miles on it to call it yet but I've just got of a gen4 zx10r onto a 1299 and the Pani drives hard of the corners.

Not sure which would be quickest on track as not had the Pani on a TD yet but alot of the group test reviews I 've watched the Jornos say the Pani is a match for any il4.

Got a mate on a gixer thou and another on a 1299. They 've both just done 2000 miles in Europe and the Gixer rider reckons the Pani is proper bonkers fast.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yes mate it has similar top end (1299 anyway, not 1199) but can't stop/turn/go like the other stuff, I'm just conveying what I see from riding at the track.

17. So will depend on the track then.

18. I think it can, but two things play in: 1) the cost and type of owner and 2) out the box they seem really poorly set up. Whereas go jump on a S1000rr and it will just work.

Like all Ducati’s in comparison to the same era IL4, they need setting up.

• Like Like x 2
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information