1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098 Vs 1198

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by NoGutsNoGlory, Sep 19, 2017.

1. ITs funny how things move on when you've been out the loop for a few years, regarding modern superbikes like latest BMW & R1 etc. i did my first trackday for 12 years in the Spring. I went on my Benelli Tornado up to Silverstone in stock road trim , and in our garage was a chap with a brand new R1 that he'd brought in the van with all the road stuff taken off and tyre warmers etc. He couldn't believe A) we'd ridden to the circuit from Surrey. B) We would use such old bikes with no electronic assistance. (my brother was on a Triumph 955 Daytona). But on those 1000s destroy older stuff out the corners and on up the straights.

2. then again you can turn off traction control.

3. My mate has an HP4, he has also had a couple base SRthou's. The only time he got the better of me on my old base 1198 was top speed and gadgetry. But its an ugly beast, linear and easy to ride perhaps, but its a soulless automaton that is duller than an atypical Japanese IL4. BMW, in my view, have taken mediocrity and applied it mercilessly to make what I consider the ultimate boring characterless superbike. Yes its ruthlessly efficient and brilliant at what it does, but christ its dull. He also has an R1M, which is almost diametrically the opposite of the beemer. Now that is a handsome beast and in my view easily as good as anything from any manufacturer and charismatic to boot. But he rides the beemer the most. Go figure. Its so Germanic to the point of almost haven been distilled from liederhosen and sauerkraut.

The above is only my opinion and not necessarily to be taken as fact or anything like that. I should also state that I have an irrational hatred for the BMW badge. So I am biased. I wouldnt piss on one if it was on fire.

BTW, I am now saving up to buy another 1198. I shouldve listened to exige, which in itself is an admission I never thought I'd have to declare.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. R1M certainly do the business!

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. For me its all about the interaction with the bike (996), I dont want electronics assisting me. Do I really care if i'm in the slow group, no of course not, could I go quicker with a Pani? probably but I don't care. Same with cars, give me a GT3 manual any-day over the modern paddle shift etc etc ....

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. RGV250/RS250? Maybe TZ250 if budget allows? Cannot get any better than this. :):)
    Power is relative..once you get used to 1198 extra power you will want more...keep the 1098 and save for the V4 :)

7. Although Chas beats them week in, week out :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. yeah it's weird, I don't get it...

9. No he doesn’t. Sorry to say it but he doesn’t.

10. Based on above people should ride a ZX10 :)
    There is not even point to compare a BSB/WSBK bike to a road bike, not to mention the rider/technicians and so on.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Er....yes he does! Remind me, how many podiums have the Yamaha team taken? In fact, one Kawasaki in front of him unless he’s slinging it down the road...and even melahndri is beating all the other non-krt bikes and you don’t see him overriding anything ;)

12. Er....yes he does! Remind me, how many podiums have the Yamaha team taken? In fact, one Kawasaki in front of him unless he’s slinging it down the road...and even melahndri is beating all the other non-krt bikes and you don’t see him overriding anything ;)

13. Superstock ZX10R is where it’s at :upyeah:

14. Sorry I was comparing Chas against Kawasaki in terms of wins. I now see the quote was about Yamaha.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TBF on euro superstocks, panigale has done very well. Its only Brit s'stocks where none really participate.

16. bnd
    I bought this one off Simon:
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/1198s-breaking.37873/
    I am so glad I saved it from him breaking it into parts. It had 5K on the clock when I bought it and now its done 10 or 11 but the engine went bang big style,so I am am considering my options. I'd like a Pani and am looking for an engine for the 1198S with a view to selling it, but alson quietly considering selling as is, withouth a working engine. It has the full oversized termi system on it, all the carbon, its an absolute beauty. Long live the 1198S.

17. Might be interested in this mate, PM me if interested :upyeah:

18. If your after a bit more power get a power commander and a K&N R spec filter, after a rolling road see how you get on. Some people say you can get 180HP out of it but hay it could be a cheaper alternative than changing your bike.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. My 1198 got 170rwbhp and 97rwft/lbs by Chris at CJS and yes, it was a bleeding handful. Just a full 70mm Termi with slash cuts, filter ecu etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information