1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 Wont Start

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by jimbob50, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Worth a try and worth doing even if it’s not actually the problem. Lots of people change them regularly as a matter of course as routine maintenance.
    Cheap to buy, easy to replace.

2. Never had a can bus on it, did yours lose the neutral light, it flashes on when i first turn the ignition on, but off once the cluster settles

3. I,ve just orderd some new relays old rider

• Like Like x 1
  4. Cannot recall Jim, but if you havent plugged a canbus lead, then its not that. I never knew Id initially plugged it in wrong way round until I removed the lead and saw the errors. With the lead on I got no errors, so I put 2 and 2 together and went Doh!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. I wonder if there is any other earths on the bike, i,ve cleaned the ecu one, main earth to engine and battery terminals,

6. Theres one on the Reg/Rect too.

7. Starter terminals?
    Dash connectors could cause problems too if not connecting properly

#27 Old rider, Oct 29, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2018
  8. Really clutching at straws now, been through starter connections earths, checked and cleaned, pulled the dash pod off, checked and cleaned, all fuses etc, got complete seat unit off and went through all connectors around there, pulled apart sprayed with cleaner then back together, cleaned ecu earth and heat sink on back off ecu,tried to trace earth on ecu, but that goes into the harness, not sure where that comes out, couldnt find an earth on the reg/rec, guessing that just earths through the body onto frame

9. have you got an aftermarket alarm fitted Jim?

10. Not that I have seen

11. No alarm fitted, but close inspection of clocks, looks like they have been apart in the past

20181029_132318.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. I think you might be getting warm..

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Are the clocks matched to the ECU?

14. as standard, yes

15. Oh fuck lol

16. It may have once had a cracked screen or still may. This is a fairly ccommon issue and the previous owner may have taken it apart to fix/inspect.

17. Plugged the dash back in, guess what, they wont light up, double checked everything and still wont work, wonder if its been the clocks all along, f$$k knows where i go from here

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. I had a similar issue returning to my 1000DS left for an hour while raining, different instrument of course. I tried the immobiliser ring to start with but no luck so unplugged/plugged in dashboard in desperation and it worked. Might be worth unplugging again and carefully looking for any signs of corrosion (often green) on connector pins. I've even used contact spray sometimes with luck although I hate spraying it on anything plastic generally from past experience. Thinking of desperate measures here (understandable looking at the availability/cost of your replacement instrument yesterday) but you could try removing clock/dash and bringing indoors and putting somewhere warm for a day or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information