1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Advice

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Richard R, Mar 28, 2018.

1. To clarify, the first owner spent £40k (may be a slight exaggeration) cuttent owner paid £18000 and he wants that back. The D16 Ohlins were bought new by the first owner c. £6000ish, the brakes were also upgraded at significant cost. I may go and see it tomorrow as don't want to be thinking about it all weekend!

• Like Like x 1
  2. The original owner of mine gave me a file of receipts for £40k. o_O Believe me when I say that he got nowhere near that for it from me. :) Not even close to being close. :blush:

3. When I bought mine about 2.5 years ago I paid less than 18K.
    For that, I got:
    Bike 4K miles
    D16RR Forks plus original Ohlins
    All road bodywork wrapped in bubble wrap
    70mm Termi system and ecu
    Two other original systems plus multiple ecu’s
    Track Fairings ( nice paint job)
    Spare R wheels/discs and tyre warmers
    HM quickshifter
    GPS laptimer
    Lightech rearsets
    Multiple seat pads and screens
    Various other bits n bobs

Bike had done only two Trackdays apparently...

@Richard R I would offer less than 18K for the one you describe!

• Useful Useful x 1
  4. Wow... Sounds like you got a great deal! Really appreciate everyones thoughts.:upyeah:

5. I just bought a Bayliss 1098R for £14,500 which won a National Superbike Championship in 2010, it didn't have any standard parts with it but was put back to race Bayliss colours last year while having a full restoration (3900 ish miles) - the team was Corse backed so it has a Corse gear box and also has lighter Ohlin's fitted than standard ones. With it's history it will never be put back to a road version but will be registered on a day time MOT.
    https://www.ducatiforum.co.uk/threads/i-just-bought-a-ducati.57477/

6. Two major issues to look at. The first is check how close the steering damper bracket is to the petrol tank. Ethanol has caused both the tanks I have to swell and both have been marked by the bracket rubbing. As there is no way back other than to buy new, I have had to put a washer behind the bolt on bracket to space it off. The second is to enquire about whether a quick shifter has been used, especially on track. The 1098R gearbox has a reputation for lunching itself with a QS. A rebuild is expensive as is replacing the OE with a Nova Racing box. Service history is essential and the valve check service due at 7500 miles is expensive. Good luck :upyeah: Andy

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Did you? you never said. :eek:

:innocent:

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, sorry I should have told you :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Agreed on the Nova box. :upyeah:

10. Rob,
    I didn't know the 1098s and R share the same forks i always thought the R would have had a better spec but good to know as my 848 S :innocent:
    came with them from new from Snell's but with the S Ohlins rear (which is on the list to have the rear spring changed as its hard when riding solo but better when two up)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information