1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r Alloy Fuel Tank

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Robarano, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Probably, it's a swine to pull away from a stand still, I think because of the reduced rotating mass. I usually end up looking like a ham fisted loon due to having to give it a little bit of extra gas and with a quick action throttle, it doesn't always go to plan. o_O The engine is incredibly responsive and 'sharp' on the move though. :upyeah:

Looking at the part number listed on the receipt - 964575AAA. It's this - Flywheel

My Streetfighter will happily roll away from a standstill with no throttle and I always assumed it was because of the standard flywheel.

They are superb alright. :motorcycleduc: :heart_eyes:

#81 Robarano, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. I've got one of those flywheels but have yet to fit it to an engine, iirc it weighs just over 500g so is about half the weight of the already-light unit fitted onto the R engines.

@Robarano I'd be very interested to know how you're finding the ratios, and ratio spacing, on that Nova gearbox compared to the standard box, do/did you have another big modern-ish Ducati to compare it to as all the ratios are the same on the 1x98 bikes?

3. He's got loads of Ducatii :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Is this what you say when you look in the mirror in the morning? :yum

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I've never ridden it without the NOVA box, so don't have a frame of reference. It is however a lot closer than my Streetfighter S.

#85 Robarano, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2017
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. I think so.

This is what I think..

In this application, its a switch, which completes the circuit, which illuminates the low fuel warning light. The canister containing the thermister has a voltage applied, like a heating element, but when immersed in fuel, which cools it, the thermister doesn't complete the circuit, when not immersed in fuel, it heats up & completes the circuit.

If you consider the photo of the pump assembly, the canister containing the thermister (fed by the orange wire), is inserted within a white plastic tube, which in turn, looks like it is affixed by a screw to the pump housing.

The alloy tank has a larger fuel capacity, but in my case, the low fuel warning light still illuminates at around 90 miles, the same as it did with the lower capacity plastic tank.

I'm considering if the height of the canister in the tank has any bearing on when it is or isn't immersed in fuel & whether this height can be adjusted in the vertical.

I know it doesn't measure fuel, it fact it doesn't measure anything, it just reacts to temperature as described.

That's what I was thinking, but very happy to learn otherwise.

:bucktooth:

Pump.jpg

#86 Swiss T, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Black Magic o_O

8. Witchcraft :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. On the metal tank is the extra capacity because of height or width?

10. A bit of both :upyeah:

11. Ok well my train of thought is this:
    Because the flange (I said flange :laughing:) assembly containing the fuel pump and thermistor are located and installed from the bottom of the fuel tank.
    I don't think the metal tank is wider at the bottom its wider at the top so the reserve light should come on with no change to the quantity of fuel in the reserve.
    Unless the tank is wider at the bottom of course then you will need start chopping the Thermistor housing to lower it.
    The metal tank on my bike only makes a difference when I am on the motorway where I will get comfortably 120 miles reserve light on at 100 miles, but on the A/B roads if I have increased my fuel range then I am not riding properly.

12. Good question. Visually, it looks a little taller to me; it has a raised area around the filler cap. The overall wall thickness is also a bit thinner.

I might lower mine a little on the service if its possible without hacking it up.

:)

13. Guzzi use the same method and that is how it works with them, I was gobsmacked when I found it was done this way and always assumed a level switch.

It's possibly used instead of a level switch as there is bit of lag (hysteresis?) with this approach so the light isn't winking on and off all the time and doesn't trigger when the bike is leaned over for a short time

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I know, put a heating element inside a fuel tank, What could go wrong. o_O

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information