1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. The only way to test them is to ride them (more than 3yds at a time)....

• Like Like x 1
  2. 275_egypt_headgear_tout.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mmmm, a bit of a triggers broom, new engine, new loom, trick bits and none of the original bits. Numbered top clamp is a bit of an anomoly too as the only numbered bikes went to the US. Great track bike but not what it claims to be IMO. Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Yes, too pricey (if we are allowed this opinion anymore :D )

5. And not the cheapest ?
    I suppose that comment is dependant on your view of what they are commanding for standard road bikes. Is the demand more for standard road ? I would argue yes it is.

The cost of racing one of these isn't something I would like to finance.

6. Was looking at Carl's WSB bike in for it's 600 mile/1000km rebuild. You really don't want to ask :Greedy:. Absolutely stunning bike though and interesting to see it side by side with Hopper's bike. Andy

7. I don't think the USA took their full allocation of numbered bikes, some were sold in the UK and throughout the rest of Europe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Well I've had it since Tuesday and the crap weather means it's not turned a wheel yet.

Looks nice in the workshop though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Had my first spin on it tonight. Didn't go far , just local roads.
    Pretty nippy , aren't they.

10. Yep, they certainly are. :grinning:

11. Got to the rev limiter on mine in 3rd, 4th and 5th today down the back straight at Almeria, "nippy" doesn't quite cover it o_O. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  12. Hitting the slightest bump in the road in 4th gear and the front end lifting is what got my attention. :grinning:

13. So, a question for the 1098R owners who ride theirs on the track. Whilst I had no issue at Almeria with the front brake set up, is there a benefit from using a fully floating disc instead of the OE semi floating ? Andy

14. If you had no issues, what prompted the question?
    I have only been to Brands on mine so no big braking straights however I found it behaved satisfactorily.

15. I upgraded the stock 748R iron floating rotors on the 853 to full race spec discs and noticed quite a big difference in feel and stopping power. I am using Brembo SC pads on the 1098R and I have a suspician that the more track days I do the original discs will need replacing relatively quickly. I also hope that as my balls get bigger, braking is going to be a major part if my lap times are to improve. I started pretty tentatively at Almeria but by the Friday, despite my better judgement, I found myself getting very competative with a Yamaha R1M who was blindingly quick in a straight line and quick on the throttle but was braking a lot earlier than I was becoming to be comfortable with. People say the Fireblade is easy to ride but this bike is something remarkable. One of the BBS Eurotracks team is an ex professional endurance racer of some note (Dave Smith for those with a long memory) and I let him have the bike for a few laps and he was hugely impressed as was I when I saw that his chicken strip on the front tyre was a good centimetre further round than mine ! My only disappointment was that the bike performed without just a little bit of drama. There was a guy on a 916 which sounded louder and there were guys getting very lairy on track but Dave was into the 1:40s effortlessly. Andy

#397 Android853sp, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  16. I have got Brembo HPK discs on my 916 and 749...Both are excellent on the brakes.
    Currently, not got any probs with the 1098 braking although I have just upgraded to RCS m/cyl and individual brake lines so we will see how that goes next time on track.
    It's a fakkin beast....jus' sayin' like.

17. Anyone running a 200/55 rear tyre ? Wonder if there is enough room at the front of the swing arm to accomodate the extra width. Andy

18. Following a different thread regarding spark plug spanners, it is now obvious that my 748R heads are different to my 1098R heads. Checking the owner's manual, OEM plugs are NGK MAR10A-J and the NGK web site says it's a 14mm hex. My confusion is that others (not 1098R) are talking 16mm hex on their plugs so is the 1098R yet another special spanner ? Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information