1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. From the little I know about the bike/adverts , I would agree with you Sonic - seems quite a genuine seller and I think it's a case of not really ever reaching the figure that he was happy with.

2. Also if I'm remembering correctly, he mentioned he retired recently and riding is getting harder for him on sports bikes as he had about 6 bikes he was getting rid of some of them so that was his reason for selling.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah, he sounds cosher. I doubt I'll be riding mine 6 years after retirement either. :grinning: It scares the bejusus out of me now. o_O

4. Have been watching this (Cullompton 1098R) since the beginning of the summer, I think it's going to go this time due to the nature of the advert.

5. Lets face it, they are loved on here, but it is a small specific market and not a bike that'll fly out of the door.

I think whomever buys it, will have an appreciating classic. (I would say that :yum)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I do think it's a very reasonable price though. :upyeah:You won't see any cheaper than that, I think.

I wish I had £12.5k and a spare space in the garage for a spare. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. It wasn't me as decided against it after much deliberation. The price didn't surprise me as it was up for close to that earlier on in the year but kept disappearing.

8. Still lovin mine it's f'kin nuts
    Did mr Tea sell his?

9. I think so, but easier to wait for him to confirm

10. Nope, still got mine.
    Managed to get out on it very briefly the other day but my sore back soon stopped play.
    It's going nowhere for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Missed me!
    Though I haven't actually ridden mine yet!
    Went to take it for it's maiden voyage on the weekend after doing all the servicing bits and bobs....and it wouldn't engage any gears ... :/. Would stall every time the clutch was released after selecting a gear.
    Could be an expensive one after reading all the 1098R gearbox failures....!!
    Gonna try and figure it out tomorrow.

12. Oh dear, that's not a good start to the ownership.
    Fingers crossed for you it's a simple fix.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Thanks, I hope so too! I've been doing some thinking and reading on what's been done on previous service receipts. The levers have been changed to evotech adjustable ones, and the slave cylinder was also changed at the same time, and it's not been ridden since.
    When I first started it a few weekends ago I distinctly remember hearing the dry clutch noise with the clutch lever released, however, when I started it on the weekend I don't remember hearing it at all. Like the clutch is being held in.
    My guess is the new levers aren't adjusted properly so the plunger actuating the master cylinder piston isn't allowing it to extend fully.
    That or there's air in the clutch lines.
    Or the gearbox is messed...
    Hoping for one of the first 2 guesses!

14. It wont be the box.
    Lots of talk about these gearboxes but when you carry on an read about them its normally then got or had a QS on.
    They don't just go kerplunk overnight whilst sitting in the shed.
    You can feel all sorts of stuff going on through my clutch lever. When I first road it I was like " what the heck " . You can almost feel pulses through the lever as you rest your hand on the lever just before changing gear .
    Its character . *

* I hope. :laughing:

15. My money is on the first two.
    Take the clutch cover off and see if the pressure plate moves.
    Take the levers off and try originals.
    Bleed system.

16. Fucking awesome! I especially like the part in the beginning when he twists the throttle to get bast someone and it raises the front end just a tad. That guy knows the road!

• Like Like x 1
  17. My 1098R is going strong. I joined a non-championship day on Monday for practice at that track and it got faster and faster through the day as it was being setup by my new helper Malcolm Ashley.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Any news @Sonic ?

Looking for news of a poor clutch lever me thinks ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Sorry been down with the cold recently and didn't manage to get out to take it for another spin yet. However, I got it back in the garage and thought I'd check it in gear on the rear stand first to see whats happening...
    Actually at this point I should describe the problem a bit more accurately....thr change in clutch nose was just a figment of my imagination Lol, when I started the bike again after the clutch noise was changing as expected when pulling and releasing the lever. However, my initial problem...so I'd warm it up, stick it in first gear....start releasing the clutch....get to the biting point...and the bike would start rolling forward......release the clutch completely...and at this point the bike would stall....

So...back to having it on the rear stand and doing the same thing...release the clutch to get the wheel rotating....then fully release it....and it's fine! And it's fine shifting through all the gears fine!

So thinking about it....embarrasingly...i think I'm just being too delicate with it and not giving it enough revs while releasing the clutch? Does the 1098R need a bit more throttle when setting off?
    I think I'm calibrated to my 1299 which is quite easy to take off on.

I've bled the clutch again anyway, and checked the clutch operation which is fine. If the weather is ok tomorrow I'll give it another road test and report back!

#460 Sonic, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information