1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Yes this is what mine is doing too. It was masked previously because someone had wound the throttle stop to put the idle revs around 2K but I've unwound that back to where it should be.

I'm told a small adjustment of the rear air bleed screw could help but I can't find where that is.

2. All sounds good then, just need to give it a few more beans when setting off:upyeah:

Sounds perfectly normal to me @Sonic, my 1198 takes a few revs to get off the line... In comparison to a Pani or IL4 for instance, the 1198 is a b***h to get off the line :motorcycleduc:

#462 Ben Mallinson, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Mine does because of the reduced mass flywheel. My Streetfighter will roll off happily with no throttle input. :motorcycleduc:

I can look like a total nut job pulling away on the 1098R if I don't get it right. The need to give it a small amount of revs combined with the quick action throttle can make me look like a ham fisted loon. o_O

#463 Robarano, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Lol I guess I'll be joining the ham fisted loony crew!
    It's probably made much worse by the mega loud exhaust... But id still never change it (only if there was something louder!)
    I opened up the clutch cover anyway, I've got a closed one, seems a shame to hide that ducati performance red pressure plate, but the dry clutch noise is just SO much louder with it off!
    Adjusted the clutch lever anyway to my preference, and Mr Tea you're right, when I got it you g you can feel all sorts through that lever....hope that's normal too!

5. Funny things these bikes. One minute I love it , the next I think its waste of money sitting in my workshop and should sell it to someone who cares more that I do .
    Ive never had a bike that can make me change my mind on a weekly basis !!!

6. Stick in there!! It'll be alright in the end!

SOOO....mega thanks to Nelly at Cornerspeed for figuring this one out...!!!
    I dropped the bike off earlier to get the belts and the fork oils done.....told him I had trouble launching the bike also....he had a look and told me I had a race shift fitted. So I was actually in 5/6th when I thought I was in 1st....DOH! I was wondering why there was no linkage at the gear lever! Amateur!
    20170809.jpg

#466 Sonic, Sep 19, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  7. How long have you been riding bikes?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Not long enough I guess! About 10 years now. First time seeing a race shift though!

• Like Like x 2
  9. That made me laugh, sorry mate . I did something similar on my r1 ,the throttle kept sticking on so I had all the carbs apart and cables ect ect, turned out it was just the rubber grip had slid up the throttle tube and was catching on the light switch!

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Tee Hee..... That also reminds me of the time I was driving a customers (Actor Jeremy Irons) 911 on a very fast country lane... Anyway, I was wondering why, every time I braked, the car didnt want to stop! even with brakes hard on and the wheels locking and tyres screeching! It took a while to realise that my big (wide) working boots were also pressing the throttle down!! oooops .... LOL

• Face Palm Face Palm x 2
  11. I spent half an hour bump starting a lambretta before i realised i never put the spark plug back in. I was only 15. I once also bump started my lambretta into the back of a van as I was too busy looking down rather than in front of me. All my mates were watching too. I rode all the way to Whitley bay on my Lambretta to what I thought was where the scooter rally was. Turns out it was being held in Weymouth. I was wondering why I never saw anyone going my way but saw plenty going the other.

We all do daft things Sonic and the above isnt my definitive list. Ive only just figured out how to turn the high beam on my 1299.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. OK. It’s time for me to own up.

I complained to my crew chief that I wasn’t getting the drive I was expecting out of some of the corners while on others I couldn’t keep the front down.

It took him all of 2 minutes to find the problem which was that my cheap grips didn’t fit so was slipping around on the throttle. He fitted a tighter fitting grip on the throttle side and I was 3 seconds quicker by the end of that day.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  13. My 1098R has a race shift too and is a bugger to get away from a standstill. :motorcycleduc: I'm pretty sure it's for the reasons I posted above, not because I'm putting it in top gear though. :laughing:

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. I am with you Sonic, when I picked up mine I thought the gearbox was shagged , and then a wiser man than me showed me that the linkage was upside down :-/
    It's still a bit of a tractor off the line mind , considering dropping it down a tooth at the front - may help front tyre life :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Haha had a right laugh reading all the stories!
    So picked the bike up this week and finally took it for my first voyage! The race shift took a lot of thinking to get used to! Constantly telling myself...so slowing down that means I push it up...speeding up that means push it down lol...
    And I now know what you guys mean about it being a bugger off the line!! It's like an on off switch, grabbing groaning and all sorts! Took a bit of getting used to! Initially it was worse but it got better. I put it down to the clutch pack not having a decent workout in the last few years.
    I took the clutch apart today anyway to give it all a thorough clean, and molykote it up as per the manual, hopefully that'll help!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Oh and I forgot to mention ...... the 1098R is a bloody vicious animal!!! Love it!!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Oh that is brilliant!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  18. #479 Android853sp, Oct 26, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. He's a nutter, isn't he, god knows how he's still in business. o_O Somebody must be buying his wares. :worried:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information