1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r And Bayliss Owners Advice Needed

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by ducatidude1098r, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Sadly, there's now no frickin way I'm gonna make it this week. I got back from Milan yesterday, work all day today and tomorrow, girlfriend all day Thursday, work Friday and Saturday and I'm pretty sure they ate closed on Sunday! So I'll try again next week and rest assured that when it does make it home, it's never ever going to be cleaned like yours, unless your volunteering?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Haha yes just have to make sure it falls down on the right side now!
    The seat unit currently on my bike is a FullSix carbon unit which was sprayed up by the previous owner to look like a 916SPS (his favourite bike). The original carbon unit is tucked away for safe keeping for now.
    As well as the seat unit, the previous owner bought a full set of FullSix carbon fairings and larger tank which he sprayed in the old 916 font/style.
    I didn't like the 916 style stuff that he'd done on the 1098. I was originally going to put the original fairings back on, but I've decided to keep them safe and spray the carbon ones the way I like, which is more or less going to be identical to the original 1098R except with some carbon detail showing through. I would've changed the seat unit aswell , but apparently removing paint from carbon is a pain in the butt!!
    Also would've liked to keep the original tank on, but it seems to have suffered from the infamous ethanol expansion effect so I'll switch back to the larger FuelCel tank, once it's sprayed back to how I'd like it.

If you were asking who the repainters were for the previous owners work, it's FB Imagery, they are in a unit just behind Ducati Cornerspeed. The quality of the paintwork was excellent, so I've dropped the fairings back to them to get them done how I'd like. Hopefully they come back just as good!

Thanks Rob!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Lol I just googled milliner....lol I see what you mean!
    I thought the hat looked more like Walter whites from Breaking bad rather than a ladies lol. Though it is upside down!
    Thanks Chris, I've had a think about It, and even though I really like the look of the open covers, I'll most likely keep it closed for now, I am split though, the iconic clutch noise increases loads but I prefer the roar from the exhaust! Currently trying to get the bodywork out of the way first though!

#583 Sonic, Nov 14, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  4. I love my open clutch cover and appreciate the music. :heart_eyes:

Everyone else thinks it sounds like I've chucked half a hundred weight of bricks into a cement mixer and that the bike is fooked. :worried:

upload_2017-11-14_23-4-28.png

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. it was the use of the helmet to cover sidestand as well! :joy: not strictly a 'hat' of course. The cover is totally your choice of course, that's the fun of it but I always think there's more to it than just bling as in the wrong conditions it gets awful hot in there and particularly on your R. Do you remember seeing steel covers on 916 etc where the std steel cover had a light tint of brown to it?

• Like Like x 1
  6. That's why I had to change my mine on my R. The 1st time I opened the throttle, something slide down my trouser leg and left a brown stain on the clutch cover. :blush:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Crap Crap x 1
  7. :poop: that's just disgusting that is.. :poop:

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. I do love the look of that! and lol yes most people will think its broken! but to those who know, it will be music! :)! I remember the first time i heard the dry clutch jingle in the pits at a track day in my CBR600 days, I thought he'd come off track cos something was busted! Soon did I find out the truth!

Haha ok the hat theme came up from the editing app in my phone, the helmet seemed to fit in with the whole motorbike theme, thought it may blend in to the pic! Ah you've got me thinking now! I hadn't thought of any heat issues. I did strip the clutch a few weeks ago and clean and lube it up, and at that time I did notice how much dust had gathered inside the closed clutch. With an open clutch I guess all the dust will have a chance to escape........plus it does seem a shame to hide that nice looking pressure plate!...hhhmmmm...time to start looking then! Any recommendations?! I've read not to go for the carbon ones?

9. You have opened a whole can of worms Sonic! You are right, there is a better chance that dust will leave the assembly, but you still need to routinely strip and de-dust from time to time even so (favourite time is when you strip the slipper clutch to regrease) Goes without saying that you need to avoid rain and stuff but the issue of lessening protection in the case of an accident by fitting aluminium or carbon clutch cover, I always ignore as unless a very light drop there is every chance that you will still damage the internal clutch internals anyway in the event of a proper accident plus there is a good chance that contact between cover and ground will be avoided anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ahh quite a lot to think about then actually!! I might just get one and put it on when I like. Changing them over is one of the easiest jobs on the bike! Hhmm...which one though...!

11. Just picked up my 1098R. Is there still a list of forum owners??

IMG_1985.JPG IMG_1986.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  12. Yes @Chris has been looking after it.
    Well done!!! Details etc etc :):upyeah:

13. Nice! Where did you get that from?

14. It was from a guy who bought it off DMC Moto in Preston last year but selling to fund other stuff.

Just over 6000 miles. Lightened flywheel. Clutch cover. Slave cylinder. Think that's it. Pretty standard other than that. It has the certificate of authenticity as one of the 100 registered by ducati for BSB homologation. Got the signed prints but not the brochure.

I intend to use it now and again but not much. Want to track it at least once too. Mainly bought to look at it the lounge

15. Get it on track at one of the ducati days you'll love it!! welcome to the club

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Looks like it has a 70mm full system?
    Nice.
    Get it on track...they’re beasts!

17. Yeah I thought that was standard? The original Ti cans aren't with it unfortunately. Just the carbon ones.

18. 70mm full system isn’t standard, it’s a DP upgrade with different ecu. I believe it is needed to allow the TC to work. You will see “1098 Racing” scroll across the dash if the ecu is correct.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Brochure

• Like Like x 1
  20. Bought! Cheers :)

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information