1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r - Intermittent Cutting Out

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, Aug 26, 2017.

1. A few weeks back, I mentioned that the speed display on my speedo was occasionally showing some weird readouts- the mph registering was not correct, or it showed three dashes - - -.
    The bike ran fine though, there was no orange light and it only happened on a couple of occasions.

Fast forward a few weeks...
    I did a couple of Trackdays recently and it happened again, except this time the bike stuttered and misfired.
    On my last Trackday on Tuesday, it was even worse, it cut out intermittently and showed some stupid speed readouts (0 mph on the start/finish straight at Brands???..even I go faster than that!)
    Also, the orange light was showing on one occasion.
    This happened in the morning sessions on occasion, but later in the day it was fine.
    By the way, the DTC was off on all occasions.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    R

2. Have you got any fault codes number coming up??

3. I don't know how to look for them...can you remind me please.
    Ta.

4. Left handlebar menu switch, you should be able to scroll through any error codes.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Google it, you can access them then look them up (unlike multi and later bikes)

Assume this happens when on the gas? TPS?

6. Wouldn't explaing the --- on the dash though, would it? I don't know. :(

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. I've just had a look through the service manual, specifically all the dash codes and readings. Nothing at all there about ---. Loads of error codes though if you have any.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 20.09.13.png

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. Yes, on the gas when it cuts out. At Brands it was mainly exiting Graham Hill bend.

I will take a look tomorrow to see if there are any codes.

9. Nothing worse than an intermittent electrical fault. :mad: I'd rather have bloody toothache. :confused:

Aftermarket alarm? Loose earth?

Do you have a spare ECU? I'd be tempted to try that Ricky, as it does seem a strange one.

#9 Robarano, Aug 26, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2017
  10. No alarms.
    I have 4 spare ecu' in a box of stuff that came with it.

11. Give that there are no obvious faults, I'd defo be tempted to bung one in.

Even if the rear speed sensor is failing, with DTC disabled I can't see how it would cause a misfire. Unless DTC isn't really truly fully off. Do you have a rear wheel sensor too?

12. One other thing Ricky. When I put BSTs on my Desmo, they came supplied with titanium bolts for the rear brake disc (The speedo pickup) I had a feeling these would be no good, not being ferrous. This proved to be correct as the speedo was all over the place and I had to put the original disc bolts back in to resolve the issue. The Desmo doesn't have DTC, so no other problems.

I seem to remember you have BSTs. Titanium bolts?

13. I wonder that, even if off, it's looking for a sensor and if it does detect a fault it creates an issue?

14. I've got the wiring diagram, but it's beyond me to trace the route of this. I would imagine it has to route through the ECU and DTC unit at some point.

15. No BST's, no Ti bolts. Bog standard in that respect.
    My money sort of agrees with @bradders that the DTC, even though it's off, is finding a mismatch between the front and rear sensors and causing the misfire.
    Maybe I'll swap them around as they are the same p/No and see what happens.
    Truly a bit strange.

16. Would a wrong diagram show that? More likely an ecu setting I'd have thought, that it defaults to do a check and has an outcome if 0 is returned

17. Or take the rear one off entirely, see what happens

18. They are the same sensor. Same part number.

19. Yes, that's what I said.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I just realised, I could try a sensor off my 749R or M1100 probably as they could be the same part.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information