1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098 1098r - R Is For Ridiculous

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by Robarano, Aug 24, 2019.

1. I've posted details of my 1098R many times on here, but I used it in anger for the 1st time in about 2 1/2 years today and I have to say.........what a silly motorcycle. o_O

It's almost impossible to use on the road. It'll do about 70mpt in 1st due to the small rear sprocket, wants to wheelie everywhere and even at sensible revs and throttle input, the front just skims the tarmac. It pops and bangs. shoots flames out of the exhaust on occasions when using the quick shifter and nearly throws you over the handlebars if you want to use more than one finger to brake.

IMG_8427.JPG

IMG_8428.JPG

I had a trapped nerve in my neck a few months ago that looked to have righted itself. 2 weeks ago it started to come back and the riding position today has really agrivated it. :( I was actually thinking "I'm too old for this, should I sell it and buy a BMW GS?" :thinkingface: Then, my mate who was behind me for some of the day said "When I'm behind you, it looks like the Millenium Falcon jumping into hyperspace when you accelerate to overtake something" :D Now who could ever sell The Millenium Falcon? :innocent:

#1 Robarano, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 31
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  2. My S feels the same so I can only imagine the R’s foibles! :D

• Like Like x 2
  3. I'm in the same quandary because of my neck. Is your mates Suzuki any good? My bike's not so fast as yours but I just saw 170 on the clock :eek:.

4. I sold my Tricolore because i simply could not ride it at a sensible speed !

The R must be even worse/better

The brakes are ‘enthusiastic’, i acually loved them but you do need to be awake before touching them ..... we were in Gaudix in about 2006 and i saw a brand new 1098 crash at the first corner, and i do mean the first corner it ever tried to turn!, due to the rider not expecting the grab of the brakes and washing out into the gravel trap ....

The Panigale 959 is so sanitised by comparison.

Steve

5. He loves it, yeah. He sold a K5 GSXR 1000 and won’t buy another sports bike.

455023DF-03A8-431D-B19A-A74AA612A225.jpeg

#5 Robarano, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  6. You don't think its anything to do with your smile?

Chewbacca-2-.jpg

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. And yet most zx10r or s1000r will piss it dead on track. Never understood how: 100lb ft torque easily achievable with 195hp! Unless it’s the torque that makes it unrideable?!

• Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
  8. My 1198S feels much the same as described above...totally raw and unsanitised, IMO probably the last of the hairy arsed Ducati's and much better for it!...apologies if it offends anyone but the Pani's just don't do it for me.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  9. My R was tweaked with hi comp pistons and then the motor blue printed . The sheer thrust is has at 120 mph and above is just amazing. It’s so just so raw and no a zx10 or bmw will not pass it.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Mine too. Pistals and built by JHP

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wow..he had never used the brakes before the first turn at Guadix....:bucktooth:;):upyeah:

12. 2165A742-B8F9-40F9-9297-EE83C9515413.jpeg
    As I have the weekend to myself for once I have unpacked mine today in preparation for a blast tomorrow in between MotoGP races.
    I’m not really convinced that any of us are sufficiently proficient to ride these things ‘in anger’ however; mine is usually trying its best to launch me at the scenery at any given moment, that includes on track!

• Like Like x 10
  13. I really want one, they look so good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. How much roughly was the engine build with Pistal pistons at JHP?

15. Do it, there are a few around reasonably priced at the moment and tbf they are not that intimidating, you just can’t relax and be lazy with them, it’s a race bike after all!

16. I used to knock about a bit with a guy who raced one. Everything done to it, a real special bike.

He sold it for a s1000r because he couldn’t win races. He then won races.

@Ash34 sold his for a zx10r I think for the same reason. Just shows you how sheer brilliant modern bikes re for going fast :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. I think Ash sold his after winning a national championship when it was 9 years old :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Problem is I've bought a V4 so got to build some savings up again, and a second bike would be more likely to be something a bit easier for day to day knocking around. but you never know what's around the corner so I'll keep my eyes open!

19. I’d still love one btw :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Heh - i was thinking this last night blasting down through wales (on my way home after an evening out) on my rsv4 (the old one with no electronics), full system, mapped with mostly upgraded suspension and brakes...its fucking bonkers - howls like a motogp bike - went past a pub which was convieniently placed on a nice right hander, decelerated into the corner with it popping and banging on the overrun and as i got to the mid section of the corner a quick look over at the patrons a group of old biddies looking at me like id just gone round their local W.I. and shat in the kettle....fired out the other side and up through the QS....im 50 this year and before i left i went in the garage, unplugged it from the tender and gave it a quick look and thought... "im getting too old for this..." but then when i get back im buzzing...the more its thrown around the more compliant it becomes....having said that the front end still needs a little fettling/adjustment....barking...quite literally.

• Like Like x 8
Do Not Sell My Personal Information