1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r Starting System Refurb - Sprag/starter

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Sonic, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Uh oh missing oil feed?! That doesn't sound good!
    I've found a pic of the same part and it seems like it may be designed like that? or a bad batch?
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volant-M...756400?hash=item2118e7aa70:g:j30AAOSwmLlYBMhD
    Do you know what the latest part number should look like? I've got part number 276Z0011A.

Also, maybe the hole was removed as the corresponding hole on the flange was also removed? meaning the oil feed would be blocked anyway?

I was thinking of doing that too, but I was worried that the holes wouldn't line up as the alignment holes have been removed! Hopefully freezing it would give me a bit of a chance to wriggle it to align properly once fully seated? Did you have any issues with aligning the holes?

I'm pretty sure the sprag requires some tight tolerances to operate properly, and any opening up of those tolerances would mean it'll slip more, which it already looks like it has a problem with.

2. Yes, that part number is the latest one. but..... the eBay one has the mark and drilling. Where did your new one come from? The number on yours in the picture doesn't look like a Ducati one

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. The new one I bought on eBay, sold by HGB Motorcycles, a dealer based down south. It was advertised as a genuine part with that part number:
    eBay ad:
    upload_2019-10-24_17-4-39.png

(I put in a cheeky offer as I didn't really need the new flywheel, minus the 2 at the front of the RRP, and it was accepted to my surprise, and previously joy, but now I'm worried!)

I bought it exactly 30 days ago, as there's a 30 day returns policy, I've filled out a returns form anyway and asked them to prove it is genuine.
    Looking at the other ebay flywheel I linked, the holes look chamfered like the original I have, so maybe another clue it's not genuine!
    Thanks for the heads up Nelly! Just in time too!! Much appreciated!!

4. you can use 3 longer screws to help align the two components before you start if it helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. No issues aligning the holes as I did similar to @Chris ’s suggestion using long bolts.

Pretty sure my flywheel had the oil drilling. Definitely had a very clear alignment mark like the old one.

I got mine from P&H authorised Ducati dealer at full price...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. @nelly , So I spoke to HGB motorcycles and asked if they could prove the part was genuine.

They were really helpful and had a look through their history on the part. They used to be a Ducati dealer and bought the part directly from Ducati back in Feb 2012, and the part has sat on their shelves since. I explained the differences like the missing oil feed hole and alignment notch that raised the thoughts of it not being genuine, but they couldn't explain why it could be different. They also mentioned that they don't deal with pattern parts, so are quite sure it's not another part that's just been put into a Ducati box. It arrived in a genuine looking box with the label.

I quoted the number on the part to them and they mentioned it sounds more like a batch number than a part number?

They were quite sure it was a genuine part and they were very helpful anyway and did say if I'm not completely happy or unsure I'm more than welcome to return the part for a full refund.

If I email Ducati directly, do you think they can verify if the part is genuine or not?
    Maybe Ducati changed manufacturers of the parts since 2012?

I'll try and confirm if it's genuine or not, but if not, then I'll use my old one which was fine, don't want to risk using a part that important if I don't know its history!!
    I'll have a look again tonight to see if there's any further markings on it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yep, they were, or are part of the Daytona group I think. Can't really offer anymore up tbh. It's doesn't "look" original IMO or looking at others for sale that have the marks and oil way.

8. I have seen earlier engined flywheels with no oilway

9. Doh... I had another look at the new flywheel....and noticed a hole in the splines...which came out at what I thought was one of the alignment marks...I looked at the picture previously posted, and noticed this detail was hidden due to the angle of the picture! I thought the oil way you were referring to was the bigger hole on the same PCD as the bolting holes i.e. the alignment to flange hole!!!

So in conclusion, it does have an oil way to the splines!

20191028_204238.jpg 20191028_204246.jpg

I've emailed Ducati anyway with all the pics to see if they can verify the part, if they respond positively then great, but if not then I'll stick with Nelly's judgement and err on the side of caution!

• WTF WTF x 1
  10. 3 weeks in the freezer seems like plenty to shrink the flange to help it fit the flywheel, so time to get it out and put this thing back together!

In the meantime, the "new" flywheel has been returned due to unanswered questions about some missing features:
    - The alignment mark near splines
    - Chamfers on the bolt holes are different to similar parts
    Ducati Italy did try to help, however, they mentioned it may take a number of weeks while they contact the right dep'ts/manufacturers to verify the parts. Time I didn't have so I opted to return it.

The part marking "YF 09-11" however I'm sure is genuine as there is a similar part marking on my new flange bought from Nelly:
    20191110_214501.jpg

The assembly of the flywheel/starter clutch/rotor assembly was pretty straightforward with liberal use of Loctite 270 and everything torqued up to spec. The assembly was then installed onto the crankshaft making sure the alignment notches on the flywheel and the shaft all lined up.

Next up was the Belleville washer. Does it matter which way it goes on??
    Screenshot_20191119-235113_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    The crappy diagram in the manual looks like it’s indicating to install it with the wider end on the nut side. However, the witness marks of the nut on the washer indicate that the wider end was fitted on the flywheel side, and I’m sure this hasn’t been modified since leaving the factory. It’s also the side I would normally fit a Belleville washer, and also the way it’s shown on other Ducati manuals…..so which way is it?

Next up was the nut…the part I was not looking forward to the most! The thought of torquing above 300Nm started to dawn on me and I decided to have a practice run with the old nut first. I attached the holding tool to the flywheel and started to torque up the nut….100Nm…..200Nm……and after what seemed like I had my whole weight on the end of the torque wrench……..finally..……SNAP!!!......Only joking finally I felt the relieving sound of the torque wrench clicking. Wasn’t too painful thankfully! Now it’s time for the real deal with generous helpings of Loctite.
    20191119_231519.jpg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information