1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1098r V 1198s For A Fast Road Bike.

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Mine is soon to go into the dealer for a belt service having sat in my dining room for the last 2 years. It is getting a full inspection whilst they return the bike to road standard with all the original parts, fairing and exhaust that were removed when it was prepared for the track. For illustration purposes only, 1 of 200 UK bikes, pre registered by Ducati in 2008, from memory, 6900 miles, 2 actual owners, dealer service history (annual oil and belts every 2 years, shim check at 6000 miles), which, if I do reluctantly decide to sell, I’d expect offers in the region of £18,000. There would also be available a US market, Termignoni 70mm half system + ECU and a Termignoni full 70mm race system + ECU subject to separate negotiation. Andy

2. 15k for a road bike, 10000 road miles.

12k for an ex full time trackbike. 10000 track miles at high revs...due new cases in the near future.

Trackbike prob looks pretty due to orig panels sitting in loft for over 10 years.

In my opinion, track bikes always less money. Regardless of maint schedule.

I'd class them similarly as CAT recorded machines

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. To be honest, whether its a 1*98/S/R makes no differnce when it comes to road peformance, both are way fast enough. I have a 1098S, its more than I will ever need for road use. Track use then thats different, however then you would want to consider other models?? If you are more concerned about losing money then a 1098R bought at a sensible price would be a good buy, it will hopefully cont. to appreciate in value

4. And it is fortunate that it is only in your opinion.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Would you pay more for a track hack than a road bike of same spec?

6. Because it may well be a better bike.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. New cases?

8. He's getting a bit carried away. OE cases could last a million miles on a track bike. Provided no bearings have spun or a rod's come through the side.

9. Or it hasn’t been on its side with no oil ... or at least declared not in its side..

10. I also think if we need to keep banging on about how much extreme money something is worth... yet it doesn’t sell. It’s probably not worth as much of the fast buck we thought we were going to make !

11. I may agree with this but many track bike owners won’t.

• Like Like x 1
  12. The 1098r cases are sand cast, these can crack around the main bearing liner. I have seen this.

High revs, hi compression all takes its toll. Ham fisted track dayers with not much mechanical sympathy, missing gears etc doesn't help. Along with unknown service schedules, sketchy history all play their part.

The liner bores can go out of round. These cases were used in the 1098rs engines and had a service life of 1000km.

The engines are such high compression, that they elongate the starter idler pin bore that is in the case.

I have no vested interest in buying or selling R's, or even own one, so have no dogs in the fight.

You may be happy to buy ex race, I have done before. When the gloss has worn off and you want to sell down the line, would a new buyer be as keen?

Your money, your choice.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. I bought this for 10k, they couldn't sell it for more. I then sold it for 9k.

This was a proper team bike, not some blokes track slag.
    20130603_165023.jpg 20130603_165023.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  14. Is that an RS?

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. In ditchvisitors advert he did ask to let him know if £19750 was way out, so he was inviting valuations. So let's have them...

16. It’s all subjective and these bikes are bought more with the heart than the head.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Most any bike is good enough to be a “fast road bike” - Buy the bike you want and use as you wish.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Thank you very little.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I know I’ve got a dog in the fight so to speak, however come and view it when I’m back from Kabul, take it for a spin and make your own mind up.

20. I have a 1098R and, while I absolutely love it as it is just stupid mental fast, I find it frustrating to ride on the road as it reaches licence losing speeds so quickly and easily.
    For the road I prefer either my 749R or Monster M1100.
    Just saying.

• Like Like x 3
    • WTF WTF x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information