1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098r Vs 1198

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by Paul Train, Oct 28, 2017.

1. And one that was a little bit larger would have been nice. 15.5 litres is no use to man nor beast. Andy

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. I got 82 miles out of my 1198 today on one tank of fuel.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sorry my carer confiscated the keyboard last night pointing out it was me that was rat-arsed. I don't have a dynamometer, and you're quite right that to do a fair and equal test you'd use new or equal-condition engines and run them as close to the same time on the same dyno as possible and I very much doubt that would have been done with the results I've seen either, but the engines were set up by the same person on the same dyno and the operator has extensive experience with tuning Ducatis.

That's the best I can offer but if you have tested these engines, in the same conditions you've stated, then I'd be only to happy to see and accept your results.

After the 08 the changes were less in number between the models but they are all different, and yes the heads change too as you point out. The last time I looked through the lists comparing the changes there were different crankcases, pistons, cylinders, cams, heads, and timing gears - for example the crankcases on the 1198R are different to the Bayliss, but the Bayliss has different cams to the 08 but the same as the 1198R, so really you need a chart or table to show the different part numbers vs model release as it can quickly become confusing. You're correct that the crankshafts and con rods remained the same across all four models.

4. Yeah just about big enough for an average track day session... My current engine has a lot less power than an R and I get through over 10 litres per session which is about all I put in each time, problem with having a big tank as I'm sure you know, is adding all that weight up top. Convenient on the road though for sure.

5. 10l per session?! thats three and a half full tanks a day?! Even my 848, which was thirstiest I've known as it was flat everywhere on track, at its worst would do 2 tanks and be on reserve at the end. 50 miles to reserve light was usual on track. My k5 1000 would do 5-7l in average 20 mim session of somewhere like Snetterton.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Yes mate. I start the day with approx. a half full tank and take two 25L quick fill fuel containers and stick 10L in each time. I don't have any kind of reserve tap but the light's usually on at the end of a session. I add another 10L each time I go out and it doesn't seem to build up. I don't like putting too much in as explained earlier but I also don't want it spluttering at high lean angles or under heavy braking. This has been at Silverstone this year. There might be enough left when I get home to top up the lawnmower but that's about it.

7. Yeah, and while your following this guy's commands to do exactly as he says; if you have any time left over, would you mind nipping over to mine and running the vacuum round for me? I've just got home after a night at the girlfriend's and the house is looking a bit of a mess!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Exactly :upyeah:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information