1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098s What's The Current Market Value?

Discussion in 'Streetfighter' started by baylissboy, Dec 19, 2017.

1. not sure about UK presently but USA filed suit in their masses when the problem first surfaced due to their high ethanol use over there, and I would think warranty replacement would still be easy. Robarano will probably know more as has replaced repeatedly.

• Like Like x 1
  2. @Robarano is on his 3rd now I think, supplied foc by Ducati through the supplying Dealer - but I doubt you will get anywhere now on a second or third hand purchase.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. I'm going to get a carbon tank for mine. Its lengthened about 10 mm. Hasn't distorted or swelled, just got longer. Absolute bastard to get on. The handlebar switch blocks now touch the tank where they didn't before and I had to shave down the steering damper bracket as it was fouling the tank.

Moto Rapido told me Ducati were still offering replacements on bikes back to 2005 but whether they'll help me on a S/H bike remains to be seen. They would only meet me halfway with the new dash. List price for a new tank is £1400. I can get a Fullsix carbon tank for that. If Ducati will bung me a new one FOC I'll take it and get it properly lined. But if they won't or if they want me to pay half I'll cut my losses and go carbon. (Aluminium tanks from the US are £2500 + importation costs).

Was going to sell my SF. Don't think I will now the way prices are going. Mine's 13500 miles, on its second dash - which means the mileage has gone back to zero, the tank has stretched and the engine's been tuned. Probably isn't worth selling but keep it long enough and it'll probably pay me back.

If I get the carbon tank I'll probably repaint all the bodywork at the same time. the lower side panels have a couple of stone chips. Might look out for some factory
    Ohlins forks as well to match the shock I put on.

• Like Like x 2
  4. My 1st tank was replaced under warranty as the bike was only 18 months old.

About 18 months after that, it was replaced again due to this one swelling too. I had to pay for installation and I was told that this would be the last time and it was "goodwill" as the bike was out of warranty by now. My dealer pushed with Ducati UK for me as I had bought it new and the bike had been serviced on the dot. The replacement tank was perfect, but had swollen on the RHS, was touching the steering damper bracket, and key guard was also difficult to get in place.

I now drain the tank to almost empty when I leave it.

Oh, I asked if I could keep the tank and just have them supply me with the replacement, which I would have kept until I ever sold the bike. No go as they said it had to go back to the supplier. I think in reality, it went as far as the bin. :mad:......Mmmmmmmmmmmm bin :heart_eyes:

Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 13.27.33.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-05 at 13.26.10 copy.jpg

#44 Robarano, Dec 20, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2017
    • Useful Useful x 3
  5. They wouldn't let me keep my old dash either. I was going to send it to Scorpio electronics to see what they could do. I get the impression they think my bike is as much their property as mine and I am under the utmost suspicion when something goes wrong with it.

• Useful Useful x 2
  6. If my tank swells again. I'll go for the alloy tank, me thinks. After being pleased with the results on my 1098R custom paint job, I have a couple of ideas for a black cutom alloy SFS tank.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Which ally tank would you go for?
    Couldn't find the one I was looking at before. Found this:
    http://www.desmoperformanceparts.com/aluminium-tanks/4574605690

Might get a group discount if a couple of other people want one as well.

I'm thinking about a non-standard paint scheme too. A red, green and black tricolour livery of some sort perhaps. That means painting the wheels or buying carbons. Must remember to buy that lotto ticket...

8. #48 Robarano, Dec 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 22, 2017
  9. Do all your bikes get nicked?

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Only the naked ones it seems. Maybe it's well known in the thieving circles my 1198 is a bitch to start so they leave it alone.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Ultimate anti-theft device, remove the Exact start cables!

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. I just received a new tank foc from Ducati for my 2012 streetfighter, second owner, full ducati service history, took nearly 8 months but I was in no hurry. They did want copies of service history, allthough in my eyes this should not be relevant, if you sell a premium product with a part which is not suitable for intended purpose, then you have to recall and sort it out, failing to do a recall, at least they have sorted it now, so for that reason, they kept me as a positive thinking customer, instead of a grumpy one lol

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information