1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1098s With Street Fighter 530mm Swingarm

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by parrish37, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Bulitt - Excellent response. I have an rs I am making payments on. You are completely right about the suspension. I worked with OHLINS here in NC, Spent a bunch of money and have the best adjustability I have ever had. The 30mm triple tree goes in today. Oddly with the 200/60 I lowered the rear just like you would think for size and quickly went to three rings on the fork height. I have a Ducshop rocker and a new TTX to work with later. So - This will progress. I did break a rib in the rain a short while back. Way more traction than I ever thought I could have, until I didn't .

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. You are right the sf is longer. I found the SF to be 35mm longer than stock. The missing piece of information is where are they longer? Also, are the shock and link mounts different? and can you even get a chain length for the gear you want and end up with the adjuster position that gives both a ride height and a wheel base you are seeking. That's the information that costs money. 6 rear sprockets and 3 front with extra links to add or take away. I am not going to use a half link even if they exist. But most of the time that is where it falls. you get one gear option or a half link for two more. In short, "No", the information is not out there. If it was we would be looking at pretty pictures of my bike with two or three swingarms fitted for each track...

The SF rode great but took all the Ducati out of the bike. It also does not like 70mm exhaust. It will fit, but you need a good dent in the exhaust from a good hard fall. It will take some cutting in both areas, at the tire and the right outer edge. You are also right about the RS arm. The real goal here is to get the bike to work as a short track bike and a long sweeping track. I love the Talladega Grand Prix track in Alabama. It is tight.

Thank you for the response. What sprockets are working for your bike? Do you have the shorter triple tree? Have you got a rocker and a TTX shock yet? Very few have this bike fully modified ,and I would love to hear anyone's real world experience. I don't care if you had it done or did it yourself...

3. Got this from BST. Note that they claim 16mm over stock. 505mm. Andyb has the stock arm at 505 for a 1098. I agree with that. So if I am reading this right for almost 3000.00 dollars you get a stiffer stock length arm. Do we want a stiffer stock length arm? BST 1.png BST 2.png

#23 parrish37, Dec 1, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  4. Really - Nobody. Not a sole cares that a 3000.00 dollar swingarm in the diagram from the manufacturer advertised to be 16mm over stock is in fact the same damn length as t he stock one from Ducati. God - I miss andyB

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. I have a Stock swingarm working just fine. I have an SF working just fine with 190 tire. There is no engineering required unless you choose to cut them. The BST, and FEBUR are options to the RS. The RS is getting scarce. When I talked with Brock's Performance Jeff sent me the drawings. All I am saying about the BST is it is the same as stock. The RS trades for 3500.00 dollars here. So no cost difference, just length. Again: "Do we want a stiffer stock length arm on a 1098s?"

As for the circles I travel in. You just walk into Ohlins in Hendersonville. Riding a Ducati is expensive, Track Day riding even more, Club Racing a bunch more. Back when this bike was raced these mods were normal fair. No complicated Forest. Just trying to build a bike and pass on what I find...

Brocks1 .png

Brocks 2.png

#25 parrish37, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. I’ve got one these on a shelf in my garage if you’re interested? Gimmie a shout if your interested....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Making payments on one now. Thank you and I love your spoonerism!

8. Ha ha, didn’t mean it... walking in town and texting....

• Like Like x 1
  9. No man - Your screen name. Hairy Minge = Mary Hinge. I have always thought it was funny. Not so funny If it's your real name and I am just an ass.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Think a few folks worked that out already !

11. Ah ha, yes. Growing old is compulsory but growing up is optional :p

• Like Like x 2
  12. Got my Triple clamps mounted today. My god someone put the kybosh on the adjuster nut. Had to warm it a little. Installed 30mm Kyles. Took a short ride and like the difference in 1st gear corners. Will push a little harder when it warms up and dries out. Unsure why the bearing nut was so tight. 3 foot pull bar tight. I have never had one like this. It may be normal for 10 years of tension.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Got my Ducshop rocker arm and Ohlins TTX mounted. I hope this shock allows the rear to actually have sag and a little static sag. Ohlins had to install additional rebound plates because of the heavy spring. I have never really had a rear that was not set stiff.

Update on swingarm. Still grinding out the existing excess material. Then I will make a curved plate to allow for tire size and adjustment. My machine shop is working on a program and a mounting structure. This should give repeatability and be more than adequate for DOT tires. They will also do the welding.

I can see how the BST carbon fiber unit might give more torsional rigidity over a modified stock arm. I found a guy last year that is cutting and lengthening an arm by splicing in a section from a donor arm. Personally the Street Fighter arm with adjustability from +15 to +35 might be a better way to go.

Test ride and pictures this weekend.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I don't know where to put this so here. Ordered a personalized plate. I could not believe 1098S was available. So I paid my 33.00 and was happy. Then they credited back my 33.00 with no reason stated. Two weeks later a letter from the Federal Government, not the state, came. WTF... According to the letter that series of plate numbers is reserved for Sudanese Diplomats.

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. A tale of two bikes. I thought my 1098s with its custom tuned suspension and go fast goodies was an ornery mule that had to be manhandled. It required trust. This swing arm saga is as simple as one posters said. Just buy an RS, put on a TTX and a new rocker arm dial in springs and valving. I have done most of that. The swingarm coming soon. After swapping the parts and getting a dry day I was able to ride the bike hard enough to say OMG...I have sag now, I have static sag. A sixteen year old girl could ride this bike now. (No offense to 16 year old girls but I am two broken ribs in.) My bike works now. Those of you with newer bikes. Did Ducati ever pay any attention to the folks that raced these parts? Did it get better at the 1098R. or later or ever.

The bike still wheelies but not at every corner exit. It has a gentle and controlled lift of the head tube under throttle coming out of a turn. Then the front tire lifts to about 6" off the road until you put it back down. I cannot tell if the bike is faster overall until the tracks reopen.

• 30mm offset triple tree
    • stock swingarm
    • Ducshop rocker
    • TTX shock (required no length change)
    • Pirelli SP3 tires
    • Gearing 15/36
    • STM slipper Clutch

#35 parrish37, Dec 15, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Glad to hear that your bike works now.
    Now that it works like you want it to, you don’t need to get an RS swing arm or mess about with an SF arm. Save you lots of dosh and effort.
    Great result.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Might still have to try the BST...

18. Why bother, as it’s working how you want? Save that cash!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tire clearance for 1. I have an RS coming through trade. But that will be a while. Lets put it this way. I am not changing platforms at my age and starting over. I can go Pierbon frame and 2 motors and not have Super Leggera money spent. But put that aside. Why did Ducati SBK riders choose the longer arm. Was it recovery of wheel base after bringing the front back. Or, was it convenience for the tires of the day. I do not remember what tire was raced. Maybe Bridgestone. This new 200/60, and 200/65 is a whole new animal. My money says Pirelli SP 0/1/2/3/x are superior to anything from 2008. And the profiles make chassis setup options that were never available. The v4 benefits greatly from the new profile, but folks are adding 34mm to the arm on the track.

Thank you for the response.

Hey man it's just a Bass Boat. (Local slang for twin 250hp 80k Bass fishing boats)

20. Oi! Trying to sell him mine.....

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information