1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 Engine

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by DRR117, Apr 12, 2020.

1. Long shot but does anyone have a running 1198 engine sat in a corner they want to sell? My engine has been stripped and is right in the middle of either repair or scrap. Just wanting to see if there is anything that’s about before I make a decision on this one.

2. What's the damage to your engine?

3. Had it stripped by Ducati John. There’s some minor scoring to the crank but still within tolerance. The shells had worn down to the copper. The horizontal cylinder has some scoring so will ideally need re plating. The oil pump somehow has been scored on the pin so it doesn’t spin freely and the gearbox dogs are slightly rounded on the shoulders. Apart from that, it’s the seals, bearings and the usual parts and a rebuild.

sadly I don’t have the skills to rebuild it so ultimately going to sell it as a project but want to see if I can find a working lump somewhere before I commit to selling it. Bike has only done 11k miles as well. Seems to have hard a hard life

84425097-49F7-4205-9845-1C1CF9D66A29.jpeg CC11C2A6-C069-4068-A3E2-E1DA52010674.jpeg E2200B6B-6D45-498B-B072-8858C28ABA56.jpeg

4. While you're there

BSD gearbox
    Pistal 3 ring pistons
    Carillo rods
    Crank polish
    Cylinder replate

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. If I knew the first thing about engine rebuilds I would. I can do belts and valves and pretty much all the other maintenance but the intricacies of the engine is outside my skill set sadly :worried:

6. Has John given you an all-up figure for a rebuild?

7. I’d go with a new oil pump if I rebuilt it

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yeah pricing up the parts and a bit of labour, looking at a ball park of £1750 to rebuild it. But that doesn’t include a new gearbox or the crank being polished.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Yeah I have a spare oil pump to swap over. I could do that bit :joy:

10. Or balancing..

11. No, just new shells on the existing crank. New gaskets and bearings from Ducati are a few hundred quid to be fair. And as a tight northerner I like to keep the costs down :joy:

12. And I’ve got a gearbox

13. Balancing is 100 quid and probably the biggest bestest investment you’ll do

14. Gearboxes are can be a weak link in these engines.

Put back what you have, if it is deemed to be serviceable or update to bsd, if you intend to keep the bike. Even RS boxes can be fragile, due to lightness, so they got changed often.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah I think it’s with a few minor faults picked up on the strip where do you draw the line. The original plan was to get it balanced and less preload on the crank, an engine refresh and then back in the bike. But with all the little bits that need addressing it out the engine right in the middle of, do we throw some cash at it and sort it, or call it off and find a full running engine. It’s a tough one to call

#16 DRR117, Apr 12, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  16. I'd go for the rebuild.

If you buy something from elsewhere, you won't have a clue what you are getting.

• Agree Agree x 6
  17. Yeah good point, that’s why I’m looking on here. All trust worthy ducatisiti :grinning::grinning:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. image.jpg

• Like Like x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information