1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Sp Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by johnf, May 19, 2014.

1. Indeed the std box is not really up to being punished by a QS or clutch-less shifting, unfortunately nor is the Corse box, it other than ratio's it is no different to std, teams not changing boxes every 10 minutes are all running NOVA gears including Althea, Barni, Riders, I've had used boxes from these guy's that look like new

Nova - Ducati-916-955-996-998-999-1098-1198-Race-Motorcycle-Gearbox

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. 11/1098's and their chocolate gearboxes

999 ones seem to be ok, mine has taken a torrent of abuse.

3. Should I cease clutch-less up shifting on my 1098?
    Yet another pleasure denied me...:(

4. Sounds like we should sell the bags of shit and get a Fireblade

5. Truth. :pompus:

6. Yep gotta agree with Kato and Jerry.

I had a JHP Tectronics quickshifter fitted to my 916SPS.I enjoyed it once in a blue moon when on a long clear straight on UK roads.It needed to be long though to get through the gears but was soon seeing me in jail time territory all to easily.

The nail in the coffin was when I spoke to ducati guys that service my bike and they said in no uncertain terms its only a matter of time before it lunches my gearbox.Took it off and sold it on fleabay same week.

When I saw the latest dukes coming with these as standard I thought WTF.

#26 matt#corse, May 21, 2014
    Last edited: May 21, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Moto Rapido are currently rebuilding my 1098R engine. They are also rebuilding the gearbox because 3rd, 4th and 5th were shagged. They will also 'ceramic rumble' it. It gives it a super finish and makes it frightfully groovy. Look up 'ceramic rumble' Its the way forward in chocolate gearbox capers.

8. Cool band name..:upyeah:

9. Wonder if Ducati would fix these bikes which most SP's are out of warrenty if it's the oem QS causes this problem ??

10. Maybe worth a try, but I think I already know the answer. :Mooning:

11. I know stupid question ! Look how they handled the plastic tank issue .

12. Ducati have a good business model there.

Sell the bikes with pointless quickshifter crap that without a £2000 plus nova gearbox will lunch the standard box.Then they get to sell loads of expensive gearboxes to customers once the standard one gives up the ghost.I can hear the cash register ringing in overtime.Win win situation for ducati.

Best mod you can do for your gearbox is sell these quickshifters on fleabay and just buy a race pattern gear lever for a much more positive feel as no linkage required like road pattern gear levers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I know, sounds great doesn't it? I've only just learn't about myself but I feel such a smart arse explaining it to people after I've just casually dropped it into a conversation.

'Oh yes, gonna get the old gearbox ceramically rumbled you know......'

14. Well, I aint 'appy.
    There's an SP in my garage which is potentially going to be f*****.
    Ducati ? I have a f****** Audi A5 also. £33000 of company car shite with a SATNAV which only accepts the first five letters/numbers, then asks you for the street name. The air con doesn't work either. Its 15 months old and not fit for purpose, just like this Ducati of mine.
    Someone make me an offer

• Like Like x 1
  15. Sounds like my car has the same sat-nav. Mostly gets me there...

16. £5, I'll collect tomorrow - in cash?

17. £5 a week ? It'll take you a long time to pay for it.

18. Just read this thread a few hours after putting my deposit down on an SP :-0

19. Fantastic bike just don't use the quick shifter

Do Not Sell My Personal Information