1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Sp Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by johnf, May 19, 2014.

1. Can't get my bike in until 23rd June to sort out problem

2. seems to be the best device on these bikes

3. Funny thing is - I never had a problem with my bike or gearbox, until I read something on here. Says a lot about forums doesn't it ?
    If you change gear correctly, with or without a quick shifter, then there isn't a problem.
    If yours are made of chocolate, give them to me, 'cos I adore the stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Why would you use a QS, other when riding flat out through the gears?

5. Precisely. It works all the time

6. 1198 engines are torquey machines. Lots of twist getting put through the gears. Combine with a superbike, and they tend to get ridden harder than the average motorbike, and at higher revs too. All of this equals a lot more stress on a gearbox compared to other motorbikes that are similarly torquey but not a sportsbike/superbike.

Reading the gearbox problems that BMW have with the S1k, I don't think the Ducati has a 'problem' that is unique to them - with or without a correctly set up QS. The problem are riders who are mechanically unsympathetic and hammer through the gearbox expecting miracles. The 1198 is now getting on in age and many will need a refresh of some kind as parts get worn with mileage. I would not expect these gearboxes to necessarily last as long as a typical Japanese screamer IL4 making 25% less torque on average.

7. Having spoken to a friend whose everyday job is rebuilding/ repairing Ducati Gearbox's throughout the range in particular 10/1198 & 1199 for EG. He advised me on my 1199 to continue short-shifting or changing between 3 7K on the revs as I do normally. he mentioned that particularly with the 1199's a number of people will have stressed both the engine & gearbox by changing high up the rev range or towards the top end of it. Having only done about 500 miles on it at the TT last wee, I find that there is plenty of power and torque mid range, no need to go right to the top end on the road at least. In Race Mode on a track day I understand why you'd use a QS and change higher up the rev's.

Most of the time in Sport or Wet mode you don't need the QS anyway With a little roll off the throttle you can change quickly and easily enough as it is.

8. So in layman's terms the gearbox is shite. Trust Ducati to build a sportsbike that falls to bits if you try to go fast.

9. So don't use the power on an 1199 then, and god forbid ride it like a sports bike?! Either the advise is shite, or Ducati have built a shite bike

Or do you mean ONLY use QS at high revs?

10. Nope not true, you just need to look after it instead of giving them handfuls of abuse.

Typical of some to think of the Negative rather than the Positive.

For those who don't know what the positive is, look after the gearbox and it won't cost your wallet when it needs repairing/ servicing.

11. Eh? You said the advice was short shift 3-7k, not use high revs, then mentioned race mode on track and full chat on track. So how is that finding negatives and not positives? Whats positive about buying a bike that makes all its power above 7k to never be able to use it or it breaks?! You've lost me

12. 3-7k isnt short shifting, its midget shifting!

13. Come on! You buy a Ferrari and don't want to use it as intended for fear of the true cost of maintaining it as it deserves? We may as well just go buy remoulds.

• Like Like x 1
  14. The 3-7K was an example.

15. I didn't say don't use it, I talked about not breaking it.

16. Well next time use a realistic example, not a far flung made up fanciful piece of advice. :Asshat:

17. The more Gizmos and technology you have, the more opportunity for things to go wrong. I remember Frank Williams talking about something similar 20 years ago with F1 cars. With cars and bikes having so much tech & gizmo's nowadays its not surprising that stuff goes bang.

18. As a Monster 1100 is 1 of my other bikes this is a mid range area where I would shift... :Asshat:

19. my granny spit on monsters as she drafts past in third gear on her Raleigh shopper! :Brb:

Do Not Sell My Personal Information