1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Sp Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by johnf, May 19, 2014.

1. I scare the Granny's to whit's end as I accelerate past them on my 1199 SL. :p

2. Hmm, I bet you do.

3. All the gears are in mine, they are just not in the right order;)

Quick shifters are ace!

4. Nice parody of the late great Eric Morecome there ;)

5. We'll it went into Riders yesterday. Phoned them today and guess what, full strip down required. Nothing found inside side cases

6. £3800 with £810 labour. Ducati will only pay for parts. Spoke to them and they were adamant they would only for parts. Bike now in Bridgewater as Cardiff could not do job until Aug.

7. Effing hell !
    I've not been quote any figures yet but its being repaired at the moment and Ducati have asked for the service book so who knows.
    Out of interest how many miles had your bike done, and have Riders just guessed that it needs a complete gearbox replacement or have they already split the cases to investigate?

9. 5600 miles. They don't know the problem until they split the engine and box

10. Thank fuck I took the advise of ducati experts and sold my quickshifter within a week of getting it back on ebay.My gearbox is still sound now despite bike getting on in age.If you have to pay labour id look for somewhere that the labour is cheaper like JHP as they charge £55 a hour from memory.Im sure some other dealers charge more for hourly rate.Not sure why.

These gearbox/quickshifter problems will do nothing for secondhand values on 1198sp etc models once the warranty is out.Makes the older desmoquattro rocker problems seem cheap as chips yet that has put a few people off them.

If I was looking for a new duke think id opt for this as a safer bet for the money than 1198sp with possible gearbox repair bill.

Ducati 996R | eBay

11. Hi all, just signed up to forum and seen this post. I raced my 1198 last year and gearbox was playing up end of year, false neutral between 3/4 gear. Got moto rapido to strip end of year, selectors were damaged, dogs badly worn. Replaced gearbox & deburred gears, remapped ecu and dynod. Cost little over 2k they removed engine and refitted too. They done an excellent job and bikes running sweet. It's not a cheap fix guys sorry. I've now got mine for sale on eBay 161332030581
    Engines well sorted
    AL.D

12. QS came on Base 1198 too. Fortunately I used mine sparingly and since this thread, have switched it off completely.

• Like Like x 1
  13. We'll £2000 been told today. Selector drum and fork damaged. Two gears marked and need changing.

14. Not heard of too many issues on older models, just seems **98 variant

15. And on 749R's

16. From what I've been told the 10/1198 engines basically an evolution, bigger bore stroked version of older models 996/999 therefore with a lot more power. The superbike teams replaced crankcases every 1500km due to them cracking. I had to replace mine at 3k due to them cracking between crank and gearbox !
    Other things have been oil pressure switch leaking oil and radiator cracking at the top bracket and leaking coolant.
    Has anyone had any other problems ??

17. That is about the kind of bill I'm expecting.

18. I've only done 800 miles since I've had the bike, the gearbox is the only problem so far but I'm now thinking this may not be the bike for me.
    High running cost were all part of the game when I was racing GP250's but I underestimated the cost of running an 1198 fairly hard on trackdays (not that trackdays were the cause of the gearbox issue) just consumables etc.

19. One of the big factors for selling my 848 and getting a gixer for track. Couldn't be sure i wouldn't kill it either in a crash or just thru hard wear, and didn't fancy a 2k build every year.

20. Mechanic rebuilding the bike has now found that one of the bores is slightly marked,possibly by picking up some swarf from the oil. Ducati have told Riders to fit new cylinders and pistons also. £1500.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information