1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Sp Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by johnf, May 19, 2014.

1. Mine's having a new selector drum and forks as well, also having new main bearings and big end shells whilst its apart.
    It seems to be taking ages (six weeks so far), hopefully it will be back in time for the Ducati trackday at Silverstone at the end of the month else I'll be another £165 down.

2. Had mine back on Tuesday. Got to run it in for 600 miles , but spot on. Great to ride again.

3. Enjoy it :-()

4. So does anyone know if damage was caused by quick shifter , also a lot of 2011 1198 , sp , and 848 's with quick shifter all seem to report their bike falling out of third gear back to neutral ?

#84 spickle, Jul 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  5. Glad I read this thread, have a 1098R on order, beginning to re-consider! Incidentally, I rarely use the clutch on upchange on my 998 and tends to be at the top of the rev range where I just kick it up one. Maybe I'll be a bit more gentle, I've better ways to haemorrhage cash than at my local dealer!

6. When I was at Almeria in January, I spoke to a couple of Italians which had brought some customers down and were helping run the pit lane for Focused, they laughted at me and said they rode Kawasaki's

7. Hiya
    I have the same problem with mine and it seems that its NOT the DQS, more likely internal gearbox issue
    did you solve your problem?

8. I don't want to be merchant of doom, but its likely to be expensive to fix. The quick shifter was probably the initial cause of problem (bent / worn selector forks, chipped or rounded dogs).
    how many miles has the bike done ?
    kev

9. Yes Rob had it fixed, luckily Ducati paid for it has the the bike was only 3 months out of warranty with full dealer service. It has been perfect since touch wood. I would contact Ducati Uk to register the fault and see what they say. It will be an expensive fix though. Best of luck,and switch off the QS.

10. Hi Kev, I was kind of thinking that, its done 3600 miles only !!!

11. Hi John, thanks for the tip, having had a disaster experience with my 999 12 years ago, i got to know TIm Macabee's email address and phone number quite well!! I dropped him a line yesterday but not heard back yet. Hopeful he may say ship it up to hacketts and get iot done.............always half full eh?

12. If it's got full history you may be ok, if I hadn't they would have not been interested,just had to pay labour. Best of luck,hope it goes well,let me know. Mine had done 5300 miles .

13. Rob, I had a complete new gearbox fitted at slightly higher mileage. I also made a solid gear linkage rod to replace the quick shifter and it's been faultless ever since. I rarely use the bike on the road just track days clutch less changes are no problem. The Ducati quick shifter is a piece of junk not fit for purpose in my opinion. Good luck
    Kev

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Well I've sold my bike now but tbh it was clear from the outset that there was an issue with the dqs. Despite almost having ducati technicians in my pit garage for several trackdays it never got better until I persuaded them to get duk to cover a strip down and investigation only to find selectors bent.

Despite the fix it still kept missing gears so you just know eventually it would result in the same problem reoccurring. I documented it and I'm sure many other owners did but to no avail. It was clearly not fit for purpose and I think in hind site I should have pushed for a replacement under the sales of goods act!

Given it was the most expensive model of the 1198 less the R, it all should have worked well. Still loved the bike but needs must so I now have an 899 which in comparison is a rapier compared to the agricultural 1198 and the gear change trying to launch you into the undergrowth.

Good luck getting it sorted. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  15. thanks again john, will let you know.

16. Thanks Kev, hoping Mr Macabee will sanction repair and then it will be a case of "bin the QS". Cheers Rob

17. thanks dukeman,

18. Glad you've got it sorted for free. And it's way too late anyway, but I've got a complete 996sps gearbox, selector forks and drum that would just need shimming to the cases should anyone be really stuck. For info it smashed 3 teeth off itself in neutral ticking over in the garage. I replaced all damaged parts with new, then put a close ratio box in anyway.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information