1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198 Sp Gearbox Problem

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by johnf, May 19, 2014.

1. Did it? So I have it on my s model too? I thought it was only on the sp?

2. Seems from 2011. Phew!

3. Hi Guys
    Well, having bought my 1198SP when it was a year old with 670 miles on it
    My 4th gear and then eventually all gears munched
    Whilst on a slightly sticky wicket - the bike was out of warranty - I contacted Tim Maccabee, the MD at Ducati UK.
    He eventually agreed to pay for the parts, but that has now left me with a labour bill of £1200 plus VAT
    What really gets to me is that virtually everyone i know with an 1198 has had gear box problems and quick change problems, there's clearly a design fault and they should all have been recalled and the problem rectified, but sadly, that's not the case
    I think it's a pretty poor show for a 3 year old bike with under 6,000 miles on it, to, quite literally, fall apart!
    I'll keep "Scarlet" but very much as a dry ride only and 2nd bike, the finish, back up service and reliability, not to mention performance, of the BMW S1000RR really does leave the Duke trailing.......that said, can't seem to shake of my love of a big twin!........ when it's working of course, which i hope it will be when I collect it in a week or two!
    Thanks to those that responded to my original moan and groan on here.
    Cheers all
    Rob

4. [QUOTE="Rob Hollyman, post: 581987, member: ]
    I'll keep "Scarlet" but very much as a dry ride only and 2nd bike, the finish, back up service and reliability, not to mention performance, of the BMW S1000RR really does leave the Duke trailing.......
    Rob[/QUOTE]
    I feel your pain. I've had my 1098R box rebuilt along with the engine. And I'm in love with it again. But the S1000RR have chocolate gearbox's too. And I've got the measure of pesky S1000RR's on trackdays too. There is virtually fuck all out there that will do a 1098R in a point and squirt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. So you bought it with 670 miles but made a claim at 6k miles? I've done nearly 10k miles on my R and the gearbox has generally been ok, apart from one voluntary rebuild to have the gears super finished, and a fork selector changed. Otherwise, it's been great. And that's with an HMQS.

6. Yes it was fine for a year, but then the fourth gear thing started, Parkinsons at Colchester replaced the QS under warranty but same prob on the way home. They told me to try it for a couple of weeks and then return if problem !!!! Sadly i had a year out with illness and when i did ride it again, they'd gone bust and the warranty had expired!

7. I feel your pain. I've had my 1098R box rebuilt along with the engine. And I'm in love with it again. But the S1000RR have chocolate gearbox's too. And I've got the measure of pesky S1000RR's on trackdays too. There is virtually fuck all out there that will do a 1098R in a point and squirt.[/QUOTE]

I am on my second Beemer, which i got March, the previous one was trouble free for 4 years, no gearbox issues at all and I used the QS both on road and track..... know what you're saying about the point at squirt thing, but for me, it depends whether thats cranked over just prior to pointing or upright and ready to go.....i'd give first to bmw and 2nd to the Duke......and, nothing quite like the torque and noise of a big V, serious grin factor

8. Are you still using the DQS after the rebuild ? I ditched mine and replaced it with a solid rod.
    PS where in Essex are you, I don't see many other SP's around.

9. It's still at Hacketts in Coventry !!!!
    It's true there aren't many SP's about, in Essex anyway, I live near Chelmsford

10. Sold my 1198SP in the end. Seems that Italy couldn't give a F***.
    I'm getting an MV F4 RC .....oooer!

• Like Like x 1
  12. I had two MV's F4 1000R
    the first had a rear wheel hub disintegrate on me on track !!!
    then the cam belt went
    then the engine gave up
    they gave me a new one 4 years later for my one and £1800 which was pretty reasonable
    that one blew up cos it had a cracked block.........THAT'S why i bought the beemer !
    Trouble is, I love Italian machines, so when i saw the SP in showroom, i got sucked in ......
    I hope you have better luck than me

Portimao RHB.JPG

13. What number?

14. Sorry Spareparts, not sure what you mean by what number? year wise, 06 and 10 the MV's

15. I was referring to Willy's purchase of an RC. They are all numbered bikes out of 250.

16. With the beemer, you only need 3rd & 4th on track.

17. Just like a k5 gixer ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Not when it's on it's side :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don't know what number ( or the number I can have on the fairings ) and I haven't seen one yet !
    Bet it's stunning though and I get sucked in ....

20. Well folks, finally collected the 1198SP from Hacketts on Saturday
    There was actually a lump of steel missing in the selector drum, and the 4th gear selector was mangled. Had a long chat with Rick at JHP and Matt who rebuilt it, neither seen anything like it before. Ducati did make a gesture by supplying the parts which meant i can to pick up the £1250 plus vat labour bill. To be air I bought it a year old and it was a year outside of warranty, so i could have been picking up a much bigger cost. So far so good, but i think the wisest move is not to use the DQS but in all honesty, that shouldnt be the case, it should be fit for purpose methinks. Thanks for all comments/advice peeps. Happy riding.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information