1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198r First Ride

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by TZ750D, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Rain stopped last night and sunny 15degC today so was able to go for a quick ride on the 1198 I just got. Was the first time I ever even sat on a Duc...

Not the ideal roads riding round the lake we live close by, since lots of traffic out, because its probably the last nice weekend of the year, and also the bike isn't registered in my state yet. Anyway some first impressions:

1. Mirrors are worthless but they look cool.
    2. Clutch is a bit grabby but will get used to that.
    3. Too much throttle play - will adjust that out but i get the feeling I may need to do something else to take away the slight snatch on initial opening. On other bikes i fixed with a reflash to eliminate the fuel cut on closed throttle
    4. Gobs of torque, which makes 3. above important to fix
    5. Sounds great and not crazy loud.
    6. Very quick turn in!
    7. Takes me back 35 years - like riding a real race bike! (i.e. light, responsive, awesome, but not much fun at 40mph)

I wouldn't dare take this on track in case I dropped it (I crashed my RSVR a couple of years ago, pushing the road tyres too hard), due to its rarity, but it would be a blast on some good UK roads... need to get a cheaper bike if I end up doing some track days again.

Couple of newbie questions:
    Can you change the shift light rpm?
    Can you change the rev limiter rpm?
    20191006-DSC_0001 copy.jpg
    20191006-DSC_0003 copy.jpg 20191006-DSC_0018 copy.jpg
    20191006-DSC_0012 copy.jpg

View attachment 171020

View attachment 171022

View attachment 171023

• Like Like x 27
  2. Stunning bike, mate!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Brilliant. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  4. Awesome!! One of my all time favourite bikes! And imo one of the best colour schemes! Love it! Enjoy riding it!

#4 Sonic, Oct 6, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Look after it for me ;)

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  6. Lovely

7. put a microtec m197 ecu on it adjust what you like..

• Like Like x 1
  8. Regarding 1. Im pretty sure every Ducati superbike is the same!! I only use mine to check if theres any blue/reds lights flashing.
    2. If the clutch is the same as the 1098R, mine was initially very grabby and notchy, but it became sooooo much smoother with the lithium grease trick. Have a search and give it a try!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Excellent. Been waiting to hear how you were getting on. :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Replace 1 or 2 steels in your clutch pack with a dished plate(s). I've 2 in mine now and the clutch is fine. The clutch take up is much more progressive.

I can dig the part number out tomorrow if you need it.

11. Who wants to travel at 40 mph with a sportsbike:(....wash your mouth out ;)
    Hey you enjoy the ride & be safe:upyeah:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Awesome! Looks very cool, beautiful slash cut pipes!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Who wants to travel at 40 mph with a sportsbike:(....wash your mouth out ;)

I agree - no one. Didn't want to go far since its not registered. Thats said, roads are pretty boring around here - no hills, few bends, and gravel at intersections. Wont be putting many miles on it until move to UK.

14. Replace 1 or 2 steels in your clutch pack with a dished plate(s). I've 2 in mine now and the clutch is fine. The clutch take up is much more progressive.

I can dig the part number out tomorrow if you need it.

That would be great - thanks

15. Ill look into that next year

16. That would be great - thanks

17. How do you like those CRG levers? I have just fitted a set to mine (1098R) but have not tried them out so far!

18. Another newbie question for you experts:

Throttle grip rubber is turning on the drum, so I took it off and put some spray adhesive inside it - that didn't stick it down (normally works good). Any suggestions for an adhesive?

19. I normally get CRG for my bikes - I like them - but not tried the carbon versions before. Again only a short ride but they feel good.

20. Hairspray, believe it or not!

• Agree Agree x 3
Do Not Sell My Personal Information