1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198s Braking System Advice?

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by AmalfiCoast_1198s, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Hello, I find the front brake on my 1198s to be vicious, I have locked the wheel twice in a straight line and also did a massive accidental stoppie while avoiding a moron in a Jeep Grand Cherokee who pulled out on me. My question is does anyone have any recommendations for anything from brake pads with more progressive feel to changing other more major parts of the system. I want more feel not more power. I’m not a new biker and learnt how to brake properly on track under instruction with two fingers just in case anyone starts having a go!
    Thanks so much to you all

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Well done on a first! Wanting less stopping power, not more!!

On my bikes, if I want progressive I wind the lever in closer to the bar. For track or fast rides, I wind out out. Providing you don't have shovels on the end of your writs, you could give that a go :upyeah:

3. You haven't got chinky levers fitted have you?

4. So first things first, what brake pads are you using and are you still using the OE front brake master cylinder ? Andy

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Yes its powerful enough for me, definitely not more power needed. But not less power lol.

Everything is standard OEM, levers, pads, everything.

6. Okay, oddly you are the first person to highlight that your front brakes are too effective. My 1098R brakes I find are most definitely 1 or 2 fingers, never all 4. As already suggested, one option is to adjust the brake lever so it bites nearer the handle bar and you could try different pad makes. Not much help I know but your experience is fairly unique on this forum. Andy

7. I don’t know if I explained it correctly, it’s not that they’re too effective they just don’t give much progression or feel before locking up. I think the lever is set quite close already but I’ll certainly have a play with it, I’m also going to try SBS dual sinter pads and see if it’s any better. I don’t know as much as I should about the 1098r brakes, are they identical or totally different to the 1198s?

8. If span adjustment doesn’t do it, or is unworkable for you, a lighter MC may help along with different pads (if you’re running high performance ones)

9. I think you’ve explained it perfectly well: all bite no feel.

10. fit short levers??

11. I fitted SBS 841 RS pads, they’ve improved things greatly... but I’m thinking of a Brembo RCS 16 conversion now.... and better discs.... will the money pit ever end??? My original wheels are a bit tatty, so looking at OZ’s, also Brembo RCS clutch master along with the brake master cylinder, yet more carbon (underbelly fairing part plus other bits and pieces), maybe rear sets, new silencers, silicone hoses, lightweight sprockets, titanium bolts etc etc etc.... so the answer to my question is a definite ‘no never’ lol

12. they are never finished mate.

13. The RCS19 has a adjustable leverage point, 18 and 20. Not sure what the oem is std. Pads with a coefficient of friction less than std pads, again no idea what the oem's are, I would of thought the more race spec the pad, the less COF they have, designed not to fade. I have a 1098, I have never locked the front, using Brembo SC pads.

#13 duc996bp, Sep 18, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2019
  14. Got any updates OP? Be useful to know what you tried and of anything worked

Do Not Sell My Personal Information