1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198 1198s V 1098

Discussion in '848 / 1098 / 1198' started by pauly, Oct 8, 2019.

1. See post #56 :thinkingface:

2. Turn that joint flat and it will be very close.

3. See post #56 again :thinkingface: - shim the bracket out for more clearance! :eek:

4. Vertically?

5. I think I'm as confused as maybe @pauly is... Do you mean put a shim (washer?) under the rose joint of the steering damper? This might help in some circumstances, but at least on my 1198S said rose joint attaches to a bracket which is welded to the frame. You can't shim that, and it is another possible/likely point of contact should the tank swell.

6. No :)

Shim the bracket where it attaches to the frame :eyes:

7. No :):upyeah:

8. It's a mystery...

9. Ah, maybe the brackets on my 4 are bolted to the frame and can be shimmed forward, and your brackets are welded on? :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. Maybe yours are fakes!

11. Maybe mine are all 1098R's :p

12. Joking apart, why would the bracket be bolted onto the frame on the R bikes, and welded on the others? Maybe so you can shim the steering damper away from the tank...

13. See post #56.

14. Thought you were showing the gap! - didn't notice the weld - buy an R :thinkingface:
    Anyhoo: mystery solved :):upyeah:

15. Or an alloy tank, or just use a bit of persuasion on the welded bracket to move it. Actually riding them, what's better about a 1098R over a 1198 Corse?

#75 pauly, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
  16. It could be a "preparing for possible homologation" thing or maybe as said, leaving provision for a larger tank in the future.

17. The engine is in a different league, and the steering damper bracket is bolted on...…….. :eyes:

18. 10 extra bhp but less torque?

19. Not keen on the looks TBH.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. No, a different league, full of Ti - over 200bhp possible with full system and Super Sport map - more torque standard too looking at the specs.
    Nothing wrong with a standard 1198/S/SP though :):upyeah:the SP had a slightly better (read more refined) traction control and an Alloy Tank though.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information