1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1198sp V 1098r

Discussion in 'Ducati General Discussion' started by pauly, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Deffo... A dealer would want 4-5k out of such a bike...

2. At least as a starting gambit

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Doesn’t bode well for when I put mine up for sale in a month or so. No early retirement for me ...... oh, hang on, I’m retired already :joy: I’ll get what I get for it. Age old story, I’d like as much as I can get for it but will end up accepting what someone is prepared to pay for it. Andy

4. there's dealers and there's dealers, I think you describing one from the 19th Century. ;) Used warranty aside, I know "dealers" who would turn round a 15K bike or car for plus a half to 1K if they thought they could achieve it within a week or two.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  5. Why would someone that knew it's history pay that, when they could buy one that's had a much easier life?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Quite the opposite IMHO. Consumer has loads of protection now, and if one of these goes, it’s big money!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Because a dealer won’t publish it or will spin it very differently. You missed a good bike there matey :upyeah:

8. touche ;) each to their own, and I disagree, dealers assuming that a punter is prepared to pay (what you're suggesting) a 25% mark up, even without a warranty, is a thing of the past, if they actually want to try and make a living out of it. (imo)

9. That’s the point Chris. They would expect it because they now have to provide a warranty. It’s why they can’t take many skinny deals, at least reputable ones that plan to be around in a few years

10. if warranty provided (depends which one) then more understandable but some have used this to justify a mark-up, and won't entertain a sale without one.

11. Would you buy a 1098R, or any investment type bike without researching it's past? I don't doubt it's a good bike, but I wasn't interested in a bidding war for it.

12. You have to provide warranty on used sales.

13. Something like...

“Best 1098R you can buy! Like new! Thousands spent, receipts to prove, and had what is known as a service item done, the gearbox, on the race=bred engines. All documents, all new, buy and forget! Super low miles, perfect in every way, won’t see better. Worth the premium, bikes like this come along rarely in this condition and are only going up in value!’
    All true. All documented. Would you buy that description with all the engine rebuild records? If you know these bikes you or research you’ll find loads that have eaten a gearbox so that’s not news. And anyway it’s all done!

you missed a bargain matey. 15-20% more than a s-really sp you’re happy to spend money on that will chew it’s gearbox at so,e point anyway

14. Sorry should have said I get the bidding war thing, there could have been someone willing to pay 18k and it’s easy to get sucked in. You have a budget, sensible to stick to it :upyeah::)

15. How much will that cost a dealer to buy?

16. Been out the game for a loooomg time, lots self-insure and stick £3-500 away in separate funds, or used to. But used to be only 3m wheezes now you can take a dealer to court for issues in the first 12m.

There are a few who sell cars on here, maybe they will chip in with current day :upyeah:

But is someone buys a bike for 8k and sticks it up for sale at 10k plus, imagine what you will do with the more expensive end. Likely they work to % not £ margins :)

17. I don’t think that’s right? Unless something has changed, I have bought without warranty before now.

EDIT just had a look, I see there is a Consumer's Right warranty for 6 months that got introduced in 2015 which would mean a dealer ought to cover themselves in terms of re-sale of secondhand vehicles, although how effective the cover actually is, might be another matter.

#57 Chris, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. I hate all that pressure sales BS, give me a seller that didn't start out in double glazing every time.

19. Hahaha checkout any well written ad. I short cut it a lot but underlying that’s what it will ‘say’ and the sense it will give.

20. Yeah, if they've got a buyer lined up with a nailed on sale. But there's no way a dealer would lay out 15 large with the speculative hope of a 1k profit somewhere down the path... They wouldn't be in business long.

I know a guy in the high end(ish) car game. And say he's taking a part ex on a ~75k car, he'll aim for a 10k margin. Bum you for ~5k on yours and ~5k profit on his.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information