1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199R trackbike project.

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by kope999R, Jan 16, 2013.

1. Great video as ever.
    Riding position seems to have improved a lot, judging from the photos.
    Looking forward to future instalments.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Mate, you're living the Hector Riva lifestyle... :Cigar:

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. So up to silverstone.. :)

glorious track.. took 3 sessions to find the way round but finally got there .. could keep up well in fast group and finally hit a couple of 2:27's... :) pritty happy with that... even succeeded in outbraking Luc and stay in front of him... :)

Silverstone is pritty deceiving... Always wide and hard to find the correct lines.. as there are so many... bike performed well and i lost a lot of time getting on the throttle too late...

then up to Derby for a check up on the PS 3 and some final tuning... and then up to Winchester to get the short WSBK-EVO throttle installed. was really exited about that as i reckon it could be a worldwide first and a bit of a favor from Steve, bless him... :)

then onto Brands... got lost in the Bar of the Thistl and got too wet... so in the morning we weren't all that sharp ... good thing as the gods balanced our luck at Silverstone by drizzling only every session we had to ride... after SIlverstone, Brands was a bit 'simple' and pritty 1 side turn...

the throttle took some getting used to but the mapping is so well done it took only 2 sessions..

loved the trip to the UK once more... pitty i couldn't meet up with Nick.. :)

SILVERSTONE 2014 8S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 7S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 6S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 5S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 4S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 3S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 2S.jpg

SILVERSTONE 2014 1S.jpg

Brands Thistle.jpg

BRANDS 5 2014 5S.jpg

BRANDS 5 2014 4S.jpg

BRANDS 5 2014 3S.jpg

BRANDS 5 2014 2S.jpg

BRANDS 5 2014 1S.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. You Sir are an officer and gentleman of the Ducati kind.

Informative, helpful and just damned awesome!

Fuck it if people think we're lovers.

You are prime example of how we should all be to one another - I salute you!

Kope for King!

Ps - Brands looks awesome.

Pps - tell Steve to get that list over to me!

5. Let it be noted for the record :

WE'RE NOT

lol!

6. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. When in Holland, do as the Dutch do... ;)

8. ha ha fellas!

9. goals achieved , then stupid highsider to dampen the enthusiasm :)

Things keep evolving..

2:45 and regular 2:47 laps were set as the minimum laptimes at SPA to be no longer considered as a moving chicane or a threat to others’ safety.

I was now exactly 1 year that the Roche was taken to Spa for a double maiden trackday; First ride on the bike and first ride for the rider at the – let’s keep repeating it – the most glorious track in the world.

What then seemd blidingly fast at 2:52 needed to be bettered by a full 7 seconds in the space of a maximum of 6 or 7 trackdays from that day that would be a second a day.

It all ended in the kitty litter with a front slide due to rider error but also a major setup-mess. So the point from where to evolve was riddled with a lack of confidence and more questions than answers.

Where the hell would i find 7 seconds ? But Luc’s stready optimism got a boost when the job done in the winter in Winchester proved itself worth every cent at Barcelona and Valencia. If i could keep the same pace , it was within reach.

The very good base setup Steve Moore had given the bike would need tuning and i just couldnt persuade Steve to drop his BSB engagements to come help this overripe Rookie.. :)

With the helpof Peter , we easily found 4 seconds on 1 day , fully in line with the gains found in Barcelona and Valencia earlier that year. But then again , there was a bit of a wall at 2:47.4 but still it smelled like the 2:45 was no longer unassailable.

So there we went with the last bit of modding done to the bike : the SBK-EVO class short throttle well in place after the trip to the UK… 24/25 had been booked as the final major development weekend before focussing on regularity and running 30 minute stints. On Saturday we did not push the envelope as the track did take a while to dry out and after the noon we hit the track..

As the bike had been suffering from chatter again at Zolder 2 days before, it was decided to up the compression and the preload.. this however did put the bike back on the rear by lifting the nose, something that was actually noticable as it ran wider. To offset this, the back was raised by 7mm measured above the axle. Much to my amazement, the second lap out i had lost my first second!

The short throttle took some getting used to but is bliss compared to the stock one… the bike hangs a lot steadier on the power and as i’ll learn more to keep it steady, it does deliver it’s promises..

And this with a lot of weekend-day traffic and loads of newcomers, pushing the riders who know the track up in the faster classes. So A wasn’t really that A… so now it was carving through A group.. Jwho would ever have thought that. :)..

We moved from high 2:46’ to low ‘46 so the day had been good for spirits that evening and the next day. Mostly, i was sitting stab in the middle between Luc and Stef , so the team was ultra tight as to times… J

Sunday came in the most glorious weather and a major reshuffle had been done in the classes so they were much more homgenous. And A was no so crowded.. If it didn’t happen today, it wouldn’t..

With Johnny we rapidly decided to skip the 9:00 run as the track was still cold and it would just kill the last of the rear. Nice side effect is that as the track time decreases , the more focus is put on the couple of laps you do have.. Tire pressures were checked at least three times between sessions and adjusted to .1 of a bar… it s great to see the real pro’s at work..

So there we went and the miracle happened: 2:45.7 on the second free run… :) man i was over the moon .. the more that it was done while still have a lot to improve on critical points such as Radillon and Blanchimont. The 3 sessions in the afternoon would get new rear and fronts.. and knowing myself, the first session would be the final assault and then 2 sessions lapping at sustainable speeds , hopefully 2:46’ish

The compression added in the morning to cope with a more and more obvious front chatter was eased again. Didn’t bing much and it was decided to have a talk to Steve on this issue before doing what we had in mind.

The AIM was building it s database nicely and it’s the key for anyone wanting to progress in a structured way.. It not only gives the facts so the bike can be developed in the right direction, most of all, it tells the rider where to look for time. So the rider does not go looking for it in all the wrong places… there is this enthralling thing called the ‘ best theoretical lap’.

It s the lap compounded from the best times in different session the rider has actually ridden. He then can look why that time was the best and try to emulate that ‘perfect lap’…. When i saw a BTL from 2:42.3 it was hard to stop smiling…

Still, the day wasn’t done and it was all to end with something i had been able to avoid till Sunday : La Source would throw me a sucker punch just to mess it all up… As i embarked on the two last session with the mission to see what times could be done in a comfortable manner and over at least 30 minutes, things we going well whilst not pushing it at all.

Then coming iut of la Source, the back stepped out big time when rolling on the throttle from 4k . At 5K the rear let go. When i saw the bike rising , i knew is was in for some air travel… Landed on my lower back and was glad not to have broken anything… those back protectors do work..

:) still, this 55 year ol bones didn’t really like the smacker .. and i knew i’d be hurting in the morning… which i was… :) I even discovered i have muscles i never knew i had..

Fortunatly the bike did not suffet too much from the 1 time flip and enfollowing slide .. clip on bent, fairing repairable and a broken footpeg should be fixable in no time.

The hard bit is the fact that i have no real explenation for the slide … no warning had been given, the rear had dug in very well coming out of the faster corners, i wash not pushing it , the tire was hot, no DTC indicator lights had come on earlier, other bikes were shooting out of that corner way faster than i did… bazaar.. from looking at the pics, the only thing i can think of is not having enough weight on the rear as i sit too far forward ..

So it was a bit of a special weekend… way above expectiations on many aspects and then an uncomfortable bit of Pizza at the end.. :)

But boy was that feeling when braking the 2:45 barrier great… it felt like the whole purpose of this project had come together.. i knew the bike is a stunner, i knew it must be among the best performing panis out there, and now i felt like i finally did her justice… it just doesn’t get any better than this…

SPA 25 5 powerwheelie.jpg

SPA 25 J en K.jpg

TBL.png

#670 kope999R, May 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  10. Kope - fantastic work and a complete bummer to end the day the way you did. Glad the damage wasn't too severe.

I'm no great rider, but in watching the video of the crash I wanted to share a thought based on an interesting observation I read recently on ways to lose the rear (and this habit is something I've done in the past). The point was made that once one has got on the throttle such that you are accelerating again, one has to be very careful about trying to tighten your line/increase lean angle due to the compound effect of the increased angle reducing grip AND the effective increase in gearing you're obtaining by decreasing the radius of the back tire - so the virtuous traction circle is broken as we try to both increase lean and (inadvertently) accelerate HARDER. It's a subtle way to lose the rear compared to the "normal" too much throttle high side on exit.

It's hard to tell from the video whether lean angle of the bike is changing on the exit because of your input or the rear starting to slip. But I have to say, it looks to me like you started to dial in a little bit of extra lean some yards after clearing the apex and before the rear tire said "enough". I'd love to look at the telemetry :)

Sorry for intrusion from someone who knows less than you about these things ... but just 2c from someone who wishes they got to spend more time in the pits (and on the track) ...

Ian

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Ian, very interesting thoughts indeed .. :) i'll check the data and look for increasing rear wheel speed..
    Johnny was worried about the peculiar marks on both sides of the tire .... we'll see what it will say..

12. Ouch, that's a sickening sound as the bike skids along in the slo-mo. Some really good riding before-hand. I love Spa onboard, its an awesome track. Definitely on my list to do.

Glad to know you're ok and its only cosmetic damage.

Out of interest, why's the abs? light flashing on the dash (lhs). Is it because you've removed it?

13. Tx Mtt, isn't it the DES light .. ? is sure did not remove the ABS... :) this year we're focussing on the SPA race, but next year we might do something more leasurely .. and could do a SPA UK day !

14. OOO errr fella! Great right up and feed back on the journey so far. Huge congrats on the lap time and riding improvements. Man that motor pulls. I thought the head shook a fair bit more than your other vids - maybe something to do with your changes in geometry(?).

• Like Like x 1
  15. yep , .. 7MM higher at the back for tighter turning..

mine will be like 280 kg for 189 pbp rear wheel rider included
    yours 250 kg max for 200 bhp ...

so man, let me tell you again, yours will be even fiercer ... spinning even faster and higher.. :) hold on to your braces... :)

16. Great vid and write up as usual.
    Glad you managed to reach your goal.
    Are you still using the PS3 ?

Davy

17. bollox....

Great vid though! Quite artistic at the end ;)
    Congrats on your achieving your goals. Looking forward to the next one.

18. Yes, still using the PS3 ... works well but we're still working on the fine tuning... seems the faster you go, the slower it gets ... :)

19. Thanks,
    It was just upon watching the latest video i couldn't detect the autoblipper, maybe due to the fine tuning :)

Davy

• Funny Funny x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information