1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 1199s Buying A ‘cat In A Bag’

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Nathanhu, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Never seen an uncovered pani engine so not sure... I made this at work for the 998. I’m sure you’d be able to do the same kind of thing using any available spaces / holes.

Ian

F0D18C2D-D301-43BC-ABE3-6064B151CC6F.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ask Rod ( Topolino )
    He has had every nut and bolt off his bike and has all the parts/stands.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Motor is out, and a bit of a wait until I get back home to see what the damage is...

810D6E47-3F5B-4A34-B479-FE670B40A294.jpeg

71FAD301-188A-4C5A-A95C-67093F9C4923.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. But a few bits and pieces to get on with...

8A1B465B-7F5C-4831-AFBF-8C862705BC2C.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  5. What’s been happening with it mate?

• Like Like x 1
  6. So no news at the moment, as I had to leave the motor at my dealer and I won’t be back in Germany until next month.
    Then I’ll have some pictures etc.
    Thinking of Carrillo rods as a safety mod.. if it’s worth repairing;)

7. so bit of an update, finaly got an update on the condition and spares list needed to put the motor back into service..
    vertical cylinder head exhaust valves, both pistons, main and rod bearings and a full gasket set,
    but i have costed up replacement head and pistons and have bought a motor to act as a donor...
    should be delivered on the weekend, lets see how this goes ... Fingers crossed.

• Like Like x 3
  8. This arrived today, tomorrow’s task.. head removal.. fingers crossed

40C60A3C-632C-4F10-BDE3-578C52D4ACFC.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  9. Why not just bang the new motor in and use that?

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good point, but this motor as a leak between the casings, so will have to come apart anyway.... so 2 will make one... hopefully
    But good news so far is the cylinder heads looks good and clean, and the pistons should be able to replace my damaged ones.
    Pistons were about 680 euros each new x2 plus head repairs and valves and the spare motor was 1000 euros, so it’s looking like a good option so far.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Damage to the vertical piston on the old motor

D1EED21F-D5F4-49CB-9166-E51202103A0F.jpeg

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  12. So the donor motor looks in better shape than the one I’m fixing, so I think a little mix and match will be the way forward..

Does anyone have any opinions on Carrillo rods? I was thinking about a drop in set as a measure against future damage etc..?

13. They're a must have for the tri-options boys.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. any leads to a good source of a set? i spoke to Moto Rapido and they didn't have them in their ´program´ so couldn't give me a price..

15. JHP? I know they look after a lot of tri-option bikes.
    @scrawnsenior may be able help.

• Like Like x 1
  16. You could try JHP they can get most stuff but in all honesty we are talking about a different bike, I couldn't say whether the rods are the same. My previous 899 and this current 959 both run stock rods. Never felt the need to change them. I know it was talked about a lot back in 2015 when I started but always keep everything as stock as I could. Aside from a sigma slipper in the 899.

Good luck with getting a motor sorted, looks like a bit of a shit fight under that fairing when you first took it off.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. So after what seems ages.... I have the motor back and the rebuild can continue..
    already changed over the frame steering head inserts for the 1299 version

C24186A2-04AA-47CC-9665-7CCA213B049C.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  18. Very interesting thread,
    i am looking forward to the rest of the rebuild.

19. so the mod list sits at the following..
    1299 etc Frame inserts
    Ti lockwire rocker cover bolts
    SL small suspension parts ( just bling)
    new rear spring 100 ( too many salads etc)
    Rapid bike Evo
    UP map DP3 system
    14t front sprocket -renthal
    new top fork clamp
    Spider lower steering stop bracket
    GB racing side covers
    DP rearsets
    Silicon Hose kit
    DDA+
    DDA+ acquisition kit
    replacement Fuel tank quick release (metal)
    Sprint filter
    Motoholders Rear subframe
    Motoholders front subframe

and a few more to follow..
    thanks to the forum members that have sold me bits while i have been on my travels,
    pictures to follow

• Like Like x 2
  20. so just to recap-
    i bought the bike late last year as a non runner, engine was taken out and found that the vertical head valve guides were broken and Oil was in the exhaust manifold.
    i pulled the trigger on a second motor as a donor, delivered to the door for 1000 euros...
    this looked better than mine, and as per the info from the seller, just overhauled.. minimum km and removed for a tuned motor.. #bulls§§t as the bike must have have had issues as we found a hairline crack in the motor casing..
    so pick and mix time..
    The original motor was used as the base and just vertical head, pistons and a 1st gear was swapped over and a set of Carrillo Rods fitted, new bearings and seals gasket all round..

and this is where we are today, motor back in my hands, swingarm on already and tomorrow frame and forks so i have a rolling chassis again..
    lets see what else i uncover along the way..

oh if anyone has experience on USA imports in regards to Title paperwork, i would love to hear from you.

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information