1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 1199s Buying A ‘cat In A Bag’

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Nathanhu, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Great to see the build progressing. I gotta say from your kit list looks like you are heading to a build not too dis-similar to mine:)

A few comments....

1. Carillo rods. A must in my opinion. I now have an 1199 with a tuned engine with Carillo rods via JHP. Personally having heard about 1199 dropping con rods back in 2012 then having it happen to me at Donington, I will never ride an 1199 without them (or buy an R), which brings me on to my second point....

2. Imports to EU from US. When I destroyed my engine I imported a 2014 1199R engine from a Ducati breakers in Denver US (2013/14 R engines can reuse the 1199 harness & injectors). No import issues at all. I think it came by FedEx and they handled all the paperwork. I just went to their local UK depot, paid some import duty and job done. I would definitely do it again with that Ducati breaker. Helpful and all receipts provided.

3. Finally, depending on what exhaust system you are using you might need an aftermarket radiator. If the exhaust system deletes the fan, a a Febur or MAC (I have this) or similar is recommended otherwise you risk a hairline crack in your cases due to overheating (been there, done that - a stupidly self inflicted 115C+). As you have seen with the 2nd engine you bought. Bet that’s been overheated, so it may be worth closely scrutinising all the components you are planning to reuse?

Best of luck

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. thanks for the feedback Dano,
    i have the SSTK manifolds and Termi cans, so will probably have to go with a new radiator as well.

reference the US import issue, its regarding a frame i have.. and only a copy of the title not an original.

3. A little progress.
    So next dilemma-
    Non Abs bike and the loom is a bit scruffy, there have been a few ‘mods’ to it, and a relay for the fan (I think)
    I have a nearly new 1199 a abs loom, will it fit without putting error codes ? Hmm time to do a trial fit I guess...

20891685-5C3D-4374-9564-526E08381C59.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  4. Well she now runs..
    I made sure to spin the motor over a good few times to make sure Oil was where it is supposed to be..

Next question..! How do i find out what Up- map is installed as no stick was given with the bike and I can’t upload the dp3 map I have without removing the current map.. oh the joys.!
    I might just have to put the RB Evo on with the current configuration, and see how it goes

• Like Like x 7
  6. On my 959 it had the akra upmap and I just installed the rapidbike without problems actually it ran really well. 1199 I installed rapibike without any other map and once again beautiful.

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. I’m having a few running issues with the higher throttle opening, so I think at this point I need to recalibrate the throttle and TPS

8. last bits and pieces to fit, and adjust the pipework to let the cans bolt up nicely...

i tried to calibrate the throttle on the rapid bike software, but was unsuccessful, so i think a quick visit to the dealer for a Diagnostic check and also to see if there is any updates for the ecu..

20190227_155135581_iOS.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  9. so a quick update,
    i cant get the bike to run happy yet, small throttle applications make the bike shut down, so i need to inspect the wiring loom.. so off with the fairing etc
    im getting MAP errors even if i swap over the MAP sensors to new ones from the shop..
    worryingly the bike has an external analog relay fitted, and i guess this is a Fan switch mod, so this will have to be stripped out to check for shorts/open circuit..
    i can see me just ordering a new loom if i cant see anything that jumps out as an issue..

10. I have no clue about anything helpful but really enjoy these threads, I just have to say I could buy your bike to hang on my wall, its so beautiful.

• Like Like x 1
  11. so back to work for a few weeks and i think a small update is due..
    engine refit etc went without hitch, just a realisation that the previous owner must have had issues with over heating and decided to have a go at inserting a manual fan switch. Not a big issue, but the manner of which the install was done, and the numerous Loom wrapping damage pushed me towards fitting a an ABS version of the loom to the bike ( i had a spare one in a box of parts.)
    so the original Loom was removed and a second hand ABS module, without the hoses was fitted.
    bike starts, runs, but still throws a speed sensor warning, so to save extended messing about, when i get home ill take it in to the dealer to plug it in to the Diagnostic unit to see if the sensor is 'kaputt'

once i have it up and running with no issues, ill revisit the original loom to see what can be done with it in regards to repair and refitting, as the bike was a non ABS model, and ideal for the track.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. can you tell me which screen do you have on this bike? thanks

13. You could possibly send your original loom off for repair, I had this guy make my original ZX10 loom back when I was racing http://www.trackelectronics.co.uk/index.php?pageID=37

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  14. Thanks for the Tip Dazz ill drop them a line to see if they can have a look at it for me.

Also regarding the Screen, its a GIVI-LCR version i picked up from a friend

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thanks for the info regarding the screen

• Like Like x 1
  16. Anyone found an ABS delete for the 1299/PaniR ? looks like there's only 2014 or earlier Pani covered from what I can find?

17. So back home again and while i was away sent the non ABS loom over to the UK and John at Track electronics is doing some small repairs and a new wrapping.

But free time and PayPal never go well together and I picked this up today..

245AB6AF-DEE0-440F-95BE-919DC48E3C6A.jpeg

• Like Like x 8
  18. 'Special Tool' Hmmm :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information