1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1199 1199s Buying A ‘cat In A Bag’

Discussion in 'Panigale' started by Nathanhu, Jul 4, 2018.

1. So i thought id make a quick update,

i got the wiring Loom back from UK after a having it checked over and some small repairs to the Run Stop connector and headlight cables, and the bodge job wiring for an external fan switch.
    on the rebuild i found a lot of corrosion on the Earth cable, cleaned and all fitted, and all the error codes are now cleared.. result, bike runs and i managed to get a short test run on the dyno to check it over.
    so whats next, RB evo fitted and hopefully get some miles on it, and after a new chain tips up, ill fit a new swingarm with the Adjustable pivot ...
    nearly there..

a question for the masses.. Spark plugs NGK MAR9A-J or MAR10A-J ?
    as 10A-J were fitted but i think replacement would be a good idea

• Like Like x 2
  2. I've used MAR9A-J on my 899 959 and 1199

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. So back together and ready for it’s first run out on Wednesday

C4371B5D-E6F5-4CB4-B034-71FA6F1E3D88.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  4. Well it looks the part, so far so good :)

6460BACF-596B-4E03-8E39-C0112202D4B9.jpeg

• Like Like x 14
  5. Bloody nice mate.

6. First run in Oschersleben
    So far so good......!

48BE82E3-A6EE-4DB3-9629-B7AA49CBD65F.jpeg

• Like Like x 9
  7. Just took a small tool kit with you :)

Looks good enjoy now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Looks very nice!

• Like Like x 1
  9. so a quick report after the first run out,

95% was good to go, but some checking and adjusting was still needed..
    i replaced the front spark plug ( 60 mins including Rad removal) due to a constant miss-fire, and also i had to replace the gear change lever bolt as it departed company changing down into a 4th gear corner..!
    that was entertaining..

other than that the difference to the 1299s i have is it lacks the low down punch of the bigger motor, but it just meant i had to work the bike a little harder with the gears,
    so using 3rd not 4th for example, it took a while to get used to coming out of corners with 7k on the tacho rather than4k as before.. but was great fun.

lap times, i ended up bettering my time from last year ( post accident) and was 2 seconds off my PB... a good start
    i think ill have a look at getting a spare MAP sensor as i think i have still small low end ( 2-3k?) stumble in the pick up but it clears as soon as the bike clears the lower revs..

so far a good learning experience, and also getting hands on in detail so i can work through issues on my own bike etc.

next aim is to replace one of the Loom plugs which i found was slightly damaged to make sure im not creating any future moisture access point, which seems to be a weakness around the area of the BBS unit.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  10. So track day number 2 in Poznań Poland

684AE334-C42F-4358-8DB1-4005AC9E0500.jpeg

2A3BFC80-C70E-4F7A-9483-5A5C2F4AD76C.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  11. first outing with the Conti Track attack slicks on the Pani, Soft front and Medium rear, great wear and feedback. rear is still good after 2 and 1/2 days of use.. so a good option if your looking.

the rapid bike module is working hard to lean off the mixture in the 4-6k rpm range, with the Autocorrection feature, which is where the 1199 is a bit weak in torque, so improving all the time..

Noise issues as always, and the 1199 with the termi system blew 106dB on the ride by test, so had to hold off on the gas a little before the start finish line to keep to the 98db limit ( right next to an active airfield.. !

a small oil leak will need a quick look as it looks like is coming from the Clutch pushrod area..

• Like Like x 3
  12. Looks well that Nath, good work!

• Like Like x 1
  13. thanks for the parts support Ben :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. You're most welcome!

15. so back at work now and a little time to reflect on the last few weeks’ time off,

I haven’t spent so much time in the garage for a long while..

with the bike back together I noticed a crack in the rear hub clamping area, so managed to get a second hand swingarm ( like new) from my dealer for small change and I did the 1199r adjustable pivot modification before refitting it.

With the spark plugs changed for new and 9-J rated rather than 10-J the bike ran and started better immediately.

What was good to see was the changes to the fuel mapping that the Rapid bike Evo was correcting on the auto Adaptive function,

I have done a before and after screen shot and I can now see that the correction table values do change the master table, as I was under the impression that this would not be the case.

Ill try and attach the pictures below.

What is a pain is the Oil leak, coming from the Clutch pushrod.. worse case the motor will have to come apart during the winter, as the inner seal seems to have given up the ghost, but this will be covered by the dealer as I have a feeling they didn’t change it out during the strip down, doh!

But in the meantime, we have made 2 small recesses on the clutch rod and fitted 2 O rings similar to the older 996 era etc, and ill test this for the next track day in August.

But other than that, what a bike! The kick in your pants of the power coming in is a real hit, and I have to be a bit more focused on my gear selection for corner exit as its all or nothing..

Fan light came on once at 101C so ill have to keep an eye on that and review the fan or cooler change out options.

before changes
    before changes.jpg

Adaptive table
    Auto Adaptive changes.jpg

Master table after corrections added
    after corrections added.jpg

#75 Nathanhu, Jun 19, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  16. so back home again, and a few items were waiting in the post for me on return...
    Quick change rear sprocket set from JT, not tried this manufacturer as i was looking for Rethal but wasn't available at the time.. any feedback on experience with this is welcome ..
    also an adjustable ride height link for Ducabike for a little adjust-ability..

big change will be a new oil/water lower radiator, from JM radiators so that will go on over the weekend.

0D693F09-9B13-4CCD-9886-95719F88179B.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  17. Last few bits for the summer
    JM radiator to try and lower the running temp from 100+

170C4DCD-0FB7-4BF5-A080-1BBFE8EA2DE0.jpeg

• Like Like x 6
  18. So an update after 2 days in Zandvoort (NL) last week, most importantly i didn't get black flagged for Noise which was an issue with the 1299 and Akra system previously..
    the issues of overheating seem to have been addressed with the use of the JMR radiator package, and i was under 100C all the time and it was a very hot few days ( over 30c) so i am very happy with the upgrade to an external oil cooler.

what is letting the show down at the moment is the front forks, i will have to get them checked for spring rate as i'm hitting the bump stops on braking, and its not inspiring confidence as i'm turning in, so ill see if i can get it checked out b the local Ohlins guy next week.
    no leaks, no warning lights, so far so good :)

B2DA2652-313E-4EDF-8B95-A1C713BD7E1A.png

• Like Like x 13
  19. So after having a look at the fork internals to check on spring rates..
    No oil in the forks..! Ffs the previous owner had renewed the fork seals but forgotten / didn’t bother to refill the fork oil.. so all is now good and I hope I have some damping on the front again :)

2F581D0A-FFAE-4B4C-AEB6-5E1728299765.jpeg

• WTF WTF x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. So it seems that oil in the forks helps quite a lot.. managed to get 3 seconds of my Pb with the 1199, so really enjoying the bike.

56C6FF3D-7354-471E-B11C-B8B8D386A40E.jpeg

• Like Like x 12
Do Not Sell My Personal Information