1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200 >2015 Fuel Sensor

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Marc luc, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Hi all, new to the forum as just bought my first Ducati.
    It’s a Multistrada S touring 2016.
    Has had full service history and desmo on authorised dealer.

two months in, the infamous fuel sensor is now failing intermittently.
    Just spoke to Ducati Croydon (I’m in east London) and they will check if this can be covered under warranty.
    Anyone had that covered by Ducati?

Searched the forum and not found anything specific to >2015 models so any hints on how to deal with this issue would be great please. I’m also not finding replacement parts on eBay for instance.

If anyone in London up for a a meet up for a ride I’m in :)

Cheers
    M

• Like Like x 1
  2. Its the single biggest issue with Multistrada's. They fail with regularity, even the replacements. Next up would be the gearbox sensor I guess, nothing like as prevalent, but they do fail.

3. Did you buy from a dealer? They might pay for the repair (if they gave you a warranty) but if not I doubt Ducati would as the warranty would be lapsed by now. It’s not an expensive part but you have to take the tank off to swap it over. I think you might find a guide somewhere on here if you search.

4. Yes will see what they say. I bought privately but with full service history. Let’s see what they come back with.
    I’m aware it’s the biggest issue with this bike so was already “expecting” it when I bought. Let’s hope that’s not the start of a series of issues.
    Think it’s about £200 to replace at a dealer with 1 year warranty.

anyone aware of a more robust sensor for sale elsewhere instead of the genuine one?

thanks

5. No alternatives, but it has been suggested that Ethanol in petrol makes them fail more quickly. Use an ethanol stabiliser and you should be OK. I posted elsewhere on here where you will find the best one

6. I think there have been a few variations and different part numbers but if you order one you should get the latest one. These seem to have been a bit more robust.

There is very little rhyme or reason as to why they fail. One of mine failed when my tank was almost empty and I accelerated fast away from some lights. Another just insisted I only had half a tank even when it was full.

7. There is a newer variant of the fuel sensor now being used, and push Croydon as they should be able to get you maybe a free sensor but you pay fitting. I have had 3 fuel sensors and 3 gear position sensors, one of the replacement gear position sensors was faulty on delivery.

8. My fuel sensor has been dead for 2 or 3 years. Usually shows a fault, then randomly shows me the right amount for a couple of hours, before the error shows up again.
    Not had a gear position sensor go yet, but the handsfree lock doesn't play nice. £500 with fitting apparently

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. My 2015 DVT had the fuel sensor fail just out of warranty... the mechanic said it’s a cheap part to buy but the labour brings it to about £200 fitted... he said expect them to last around 2 years. I ride without it and just fill up after 150 miles to be on the safe side... I’m now having mine replaced as he’s doing the 18,000 mile service, as he has to remove the tank he’s not charging labour... my gear selector sensor is now on the blink... it seems intermittent at the moment.. interestingly the dealer can’t find an issue with it as it was fine when they checked it and no historical fault codes showed up on the computer. So I’m just riding it and hope that it sorts it’s self out...

10. I found the bike to be a real PITA with the gear position sensor failed. The revs pulling away would be inconsistent, as was the general fuelling. I believe with a failed GP sensor the bike thinks it’s in 3rd gear when you are in first etc, but the bike is fuelling as though it is in 3rd gear.

11. Mine just won’t turn over as it thinks it’s in gear.... if I turn it off and leave it a couple of minutes it reboots and then starts... it’s like a lottery when ever I have to start the bike o_O

12. I got off lucky then, but I have gone through 3 sensors

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ducati replaced one in warranty on my 2015. Would not out of warranty. I bought one, $100 from dealer, and replaced my self. It was easy just try to have the tank almost empty.

14. There's a YT video of some Thai fellow repairing his sender with a little solder. Not sure I'd have the patience but it worked.

15. I had the same issue, I had to pull the clutch in to start the bike

• Like Like x 1
  16. Searching as I have does anybody have a step by step process of getting the tank off to replace the sensor?
    Even a YouTube vid would do but I can’t find one.

Thanks.

17. This is replacement of tank and covers etc. Should help though. Same process but in reverse.
    I did it last year, only tricky thing is the pipework to the tank cap. I fitted a keyless tank cap.

18. On this subject, my fuel gage suddenly didn’t want to acknowledge that I’d filled up last Sunday.
    Looks like I’m going to have to replace it.

Can anybody tell me how much the sensor on its own costs?

#19 Sam1199, Mar 6, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  19. Found this. It should help. It says not fun but it isn’t that bad.Another pair of hands is a great help.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information