1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 1200 >2015 Fuel Sensor

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by Marc luc, Feb 27, 2021.

1. The sensor is about £70 to £80. Not to bad.

2. just watched this and very informative, but he missed the bit where you disconnect the fuel pipe, got the two under the tank cover but not the actual fuel line.

I shall investigate more.

3. I paid £65 for a new sensor for my old 2012 bike, fitted myself. Dealer had to update software to recognise it £25.

4. fuel line removal is simple, assuming you've removed the appropriate parts to access it, push it AND the grey collar down, hold the grey collar down and gently pull up on the line itself, it may need a "wiggle", it will dribble a small amount of fuel so cover the clocks with a cloth
    bodywork is more time consuming than difficult, I can strip mine from a standing start to fully off in about 25mins now, tank off as well another 10 or so
    I find it easier to remove the tank cover separately which means far easier access to the vent hoses and clips
    the fuel sender itself it very simple, and in fact the only cautions in the manual are about not overtightening it on installation
    Good Luck :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. I shall be up your way in August, keep a day free :cool:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Hey all, update from Ducati this weekend, they will give me the new part since the bike has full service history in dealerships. I will have to pay for labour though, which's I think it’s fair and will get 1 year warranty. I need to do MOT too so will be sending the bike in a couple of weeks.

@Sam1199 I was quoted £200 for part + labour, and now £80 for the labour only.

cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mine went nuts today engine warning light on fuels sensor fault flashing away kept going back to normal then happening again 3 or 4 times on my ride home under acceleration.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mine failed over winter storage with hardly any fuel left in the tank. Warning lights and dash display were both just flashing on and off.
    I filled it up last month for the first time in ages and it was still not working. However after sitting for a couple of weeks with a tank of fuel - it started working again :) Its still OK now too.
    I can only conclude that the float had dried out and was sticking, then once it was 'lubed' with fuel again, it started working again ... or maybe its just wank Ducati electronics....who knows ? :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. My fuel sensor failed in March but then started to work again. It went again a couple of weeks ago as predicted on here!
    I’ve got a long trip planned for the end of June and can’t get the bike in to get a new fuel sensor before July. I’m riding it at the moment and monitoring the fuel level by the mileage. Should I be worried about the trip? I’ve got a Street Triple I could take instead but but it’ll be a real hassle loading the luggage on that and I’d obviously prefer to take the Multistrada

10. Just use your trip meter.
    It’s not hard to do yourself if you can get the spare part

11. What part number of fuel gauge sender do you have?

Take off the seat, and look at the white label attached to the electric wire connected to the sender at the rear of the fuel tank. If the part number is:

59210212F
    then you have the latest available version of the sender. If the number/letter is earlier, then you have an earlier version of the sender.

If you are ordering a new sender from a supplier, use that number 59210212F and check the label when you receive it.

• Like Like x 2
  12. I have the 'D' variant on mine. Possibly been on from new (its a 15 plate bike) > I intend getting it swapped even though it started working again. Its down at Cornerspeed for a service and it swapping over soon

13. It’s got a date on it, 23/09/15 which suggests it was replaced before

14. Well mine stopped working, then started working. I took it out today and it failed after about half an hour's riding :D Good job its booked in to sort eh

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. I dont understand this "dealer had to update the software" thing. I replaced my 2011 fuel sensor a couple of years back, easy enough but a p.i.t.a. I had put the job off because of the dealer & software thing however the flashing light drove me nut so I changed it.....worked immediately & accurately, a dealer free operation...been faultless ever since.
    Conclusion: like changing belts & valve shims, I think this is a myth put about by dealers to give everybody the willies so they will spend vast sums of money with them. Just a thought.

16. My dash showed an error with the new fuel sensor fitted until the dealer updated the software, nothing I could have done about it. If your bike had been in for something else then the dealer would have updated the software and the fuel sensor would have been recognised without another update.

17. My fuel gauge sender stopped working several months ago. I didn't get around to replacing it, just relied on the trip-miles.

Since I started putting E10 in the tank, the sender has started working again. Now done several hundred miles and it is just fine.

Hooray for E10!

18. Mines been working fine since I put fuel supplement in my tank called sea foam sf16
    Got it on ebay

19. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn’t.
    Did a trip up to Scotland in June and it was off more than it was on. Did a trip to Wales in September and it didn’t miss a beat. I always reset the mileage when I fill up just in case it goes. Oddly, sometimes it shows how much petrol is left in the tank on the fuel gauge but doesn’t show/work out the range or mpg on the info dial and I’m not getting an engine light or fuel sensor error warning

20. Just for info, I've seen posts sayin g the latest sender is an 'F' suffix.....
    .....seems they've tried again...it's 'G' now

Do Not Sell My Personal Information